Insulating wooden workshop advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If your Builder's Supply place has half a brain (many of ours don't), they should be able to tell you if the foam and the sheet are compatible.
Code here is a waterproof box full of insulation = skinny wall, weather sealed on both sides. Winter: -35C outside, +20C inside.
Summer's worst, last year was +47C outside and +27C in the kitchen.

Good luck with it, Sure makes a comfortable difference.
Don't forget a potting bench with some fluorescent lights for starting garden and flowering plants.
Extends your mileage.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No, Janne, they don't always. I left the fluoros on for a couple of years.
The Fuzz never showed up. I had one little spider that tied to make a living
but I think it starved to death.

I have moved my Grow-Op to my downstairs kitchen
but I'm having a real problem keeping the cat out of the bigger pots.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
If I'm fitting Cellotex/Kingspan type insulation into a building I don't even try to get the fit perfect, I'd rather have about a 5mm gap around the insulation (hold it in place short term with a couple of nails) then I go round it with squirty foam (use the stuff from a gun as the other ones from just a can are hard work) and the foam makes a far better seal and stops the Cellotex from rattling about.
The 5mm gap is just enough to get the foam gun nozzle in.

If I try to get the fit of the Cellotex perfect it takes three times as long, causes masses more nasty dust that gets in my eyes and at the end the building is much less likely to pass an air test.
I've done a few homes this way and although it uses a few tins of foam its a much better job in the end.

I'm not sure but I suspect squirty foam might just eat away at polystyrene though, can't say I've ever tried it yet.

You have to remember though that a big chunk of the insulation value of things like Celotex is made up by the reflective coating. It reflects the heat back in and the cold out. Without the reflective coat you get a lot more conducted heat loss. I totally agree though that a tight fit is essential. Otherwise it's like wearing a down jacket but leaving it unzipped. I generally specify Celotex fitted tightly between studs with an air gap either side to allow the reflective coating to work, then fit a continuous layer on the inside which makes it easier to butt the joints tightly and tape them with a reflective tape. A 25mm continuous layer on the inside is worth twice the thickness between studs.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Some more progress done this week. I have workbenches! :) Used pallets for the supports and whatever else will had lying around. I also got half the ceiling put in now which gives me a lot of storage.

Just got to run some extension leads in then i can finish the top of the walls up t the ceiling, get it painted and that should be me :)
9ee1bb776315828b05246b8c9971beaf.jpg
2d6bcb4ba426bca38758d9a9f05a50db.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Toddy and bopdude

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You are one seriously clever boy to use the pallets for legs. Cosmic idea.

White paint will cut down the cost of lighting. LED spot lights don't splash light into corners and waste it.

What is the working surface on your island bench?
Mine is enameled steel = the lid of my deep freezer. I drew a grid of lines with black felt marker for assemblies.

Dreadhead

I like to upcycle what I can. I've reclaimed so much material that was around here already.

The central bench is just some crap jointed 30nm chip board for flooring, but it's what I've got. I put some timber around the edges to add more surface and extra strength. I'll probably try and get a nicer surface and just add it on top at somepoint. I'd ideally like something with a nice polish or varnish which won't scratch leather. In the meantime I'll cover it with those green cutting mats
You are one seriously clever boy to use the pallets for legs. Cosmic idea.

White paint will cut down the cost of lighting. LED spot lights don't splash light into corners and waste it.

What is the working surface on your island bench?
Mine is enameled steel = the lid of my deep freezer. I drew a grid of lines with black felt marker for assemblies.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Your 'junk wood' island bench is just fine. Some day, you will find a skin for it.

The rustic furniture shop down my street has an all-purpose central assembly bench.
They found some fairy thin, short-knap floor carpet for a covering.
It seemed odd but I finally realized how useful the soft surface really was..

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's looking good Hamish :)

Our workshop bench is covered in industrial linoleum. It's at least forty years old and is still sound.
It's the stuff that's used in schools and the like....and there are always offcuts around. If you ask the local flooring folks, most are self employed when they are hired on building sites, they might well have something suitable they're happy to sell at near cost. I know that one of the local charities got hold of such pieces and used them on the walls of their shower rooms, so it is about.

I have those packs of parquet flooring that Andy said he wouldn't use. If they'd be of any use for a surface, let me know and I'll get them to you somehow or other.

Dreadhead

Good idea with the linoleum. I was looking at that varnished plyboard stuff but will keep looking at what else is out there

I'm so close to being done I can taste it got all my walls and ceiling in using just hand tools all that is left to do is paint today :)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Nice cheap and easy bench top is a kitchen work surface. Pretty much any local supplier will have some scartched or damaged second they will want to sell of cheap. It's nice flat and very hard wearing. Mine has been good for 15 years and its had a hard life. Looking great by the way.

Reactions: Birch Axe

Birch Axe

Apr 28, 2018
The Woods
Nice cheap and easy bench top is a kitchen work surface. Pretty much any local supplier will have some scartched or damaged second they will want to sell of cheap. It's nice flat and very hard wearing. Mine has been good for 15 years and its had a hard life. Looking great by the way.

There's a place down the road from me that practically gives it away, usually its only slightly cosmetically damaged and still looks great.

Dreadhead

I finally got around to covering the concrete floor this week! I used those foam jigsaw mats and just filled everything. Now I can roll around with the dog and dance about barefoot as much as I want
c423e6629928f70f72c121795a221c60.jpg
a4c4652d9ca165d68736f9a73f806d62.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE