Insulating jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
It is the Keela Advance Belay JACKET rather than the Over the head Smock; from there it is only in black and has an embroidered badge but other than that the same as you buy elsewhere. Do check the P+P though.

No connection etc other than I am an award leader in Scouts

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
Unless you're going for temperatures lower than -15, avoid down.

I would look at either Snugpak or Nanok, not only the jacket but also the salopettes. Digging the Nanok SF Olive/White Reversible lately... :)

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Like Imagedude I've got a mountaineering background and have been using the belay jacket concept for years now. It has pretty much replaced the layering system for me due to it's simplicity. When you're active, even in cold weather, all you need is a base layer or thin insulating layer under your wind or waterproof. Then, when you stop, you just put your belay jacket on top of everything to stay warm while you're resting.
I've been using a Montane Bivvy jacket for years (I can't seem to kill it), and a Patagonia DAS parka.

Cheers, Michael.

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Like Imagedude I've got a mountaineering background and have been using the belay jacket concept for years now. It has pretty much replaced the layering system for me due to it's simplicity. When you're active, even in cold weather, all you need is a base layer or thin insulating layer under your wind or waterproof. Then, when you stop, you just put your belay jacket on top of everything to stay warm while you're resting.
I've been using a Montane Bivvy jacket for years (I can't seem to kill it), and a Patagonia DAS parka.

Cheers, Michael.

Exactly the same summer & winter in Northumberland hillwalks Baselayer with either a sweatshirt or Waterproof and put on a sleeka when I stop

rg598

Native
Since we are talking about fairly warm temperatures, you don't need all hat much. I think something like the Patagonia DAS parka will serve you very well. The Mountain Hardware Compressor Hoody might be another option. You can see me wearing the Patagonia DAS parka here: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2012/12/trip-report-kaaterskill-high-peak_21.html

1573.jpg

2393.jpg

3383.jpg

It fits inside the front pocket of the backpack you see int he picture with some extra room left over.

0223.jpg

For warmer temperatures like the ones you are talking about I like synthetic insulation (Primaloft One). The reason is that as a belay jacket (something you will put on when resting), it will most likely go on over damp or wet base and mid layers. The synthetic insulation is less effected by the moisture. It is not going to be an issue with water coming from the outside, but rather with sweat management. The time you will need the jacket the most will be when you are sweaty and stop for some rest. Also, when dealing with temperatures about 0C, the jackets are not so thick as to make much of a difference weight wise when comparing down to synthetic. If we are talking about jackets designed for -40C, then it's a different issue.

Anyway, I use the Patagonia DAS parka for my outer jacket, and I use it exactly in the manner you describe. I have been happy with it, and use it in temperatures down to -18C.

Last edited:

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Recently got given a Haglofs Essen down jacket for my birthday. Can't recomend it highly enough. An excellent, warm, light weight, small pack size jacket. Just put a waterproof shell over the top and your sorted. Expenceive though, has to be said. But if you can stretch to it, you won't be disappointed. Surprisingly warm given the size!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Keela Belay Advance jacket works for me. I reckon it would fit in a bean tin. Mine lives in a 1ltr drybag.

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
ihave a montane prism 1 and its very good as is alot of their gear but i would try it on before buying a can be quite a technical fit.
plus the shell is showerproof but the jacket is just as warm when wet as its primaloft.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
To clarify the abouve I saw a new rab in a shop a few weeks ago which seemed to be thicker then mine which may be more suitable. I think rab stuff is great.

I used to think Rab stuff great, but I'm not so keen any more - they are going for volume over quality and as I have a link to the aftersales team, I know they are getting busier.

I bought a Merrell Primaloft jacket for about £50 and it's superb. With a fleece under I was walking the dogs at -2 with a keen wind and was comfy.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I've had the Mountain Equipment Fitzroy jacket for years now and it's probably the best jacket i've ever owned. It's synthetic with 100g Primaloft One in the main body and 60g in the arms and hood, it's windproof and getting on for waterproof but not quite, mine goes with me on pretty much every trip.

Matt

happyfish

Aug 26, 2009
Pembrokeshire
I have a Rab Belay jacket which is my favourite. Light, comfortable and warm. Loads of pockets and with a good hood. Slim enough to layer if it gets wet or really cold.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE