Instant Noodles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A student on the Degree in Nursing course my daughter was on left because her first essay was failed due to writing it in text speak, of course she was in the right and everyone else wrong

I welcome the new member, but he (or she) should make a tiny effort and write in plain English

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
A student on the Degree in Nursing course my daughter was on left because her first essay was failed due to writing it in text speak, of course she was in the right and everyone else wrong

I welcome the new member, but he (or she) should make a tiny effort and write in plain English

I'm a university lecturer and I make it abundantly clear that I expect all assignments to be grammatical (I'm easy going - prefer descriptive grammars to proscriptive grammars), syntactical, no spelling mistakes or typographical errors and if there are I will come down on them like a ton of hot bricks. It's as well they know. No point in having a good idea if you can't express it clearly and succinctly. This doesn't mean I am hard on those who have dyslexia or other issues (I am a bit easier on international students - although if they come to study in the UK I expect them to have a suitable grasp of the English language at an academic level).
I'm with you, Rik. No one is looking for masterful prose, just something that makes sense. I'd think that wanting to communicate clearly was it's own reward. Maybe not. Oh well.

C

catman61

My apologies to all upset by my use of text speak.However, there is nothing wrong with my literature or language (just my computer skills as i'm learning & some letters are easier to find).We only get limited time so I have to write quickly.In future I will refrain from using this "language" as I don't like it either!

P.S. No-one explained the difference between member & fuul member.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
My apologies to all upset by my use of text speak.However, there is nothing wrong with my literature or language (just my computer skills as i'm learning & some letters are easier to find).We only get limited time so I have to write quickly.In future I will refrain from using this "language" as I don't like it either!

P.S. No-one explained the difference between member & fuul member.

That's a relief I have to say :D A full member is a paying subscriber to BCUK, and receives a load of benefits including (but not limited to!) access to the full member forum, full member only discounts, group buys and items for sale etc. Full members can also sell items in the classifieds. I've been meaning to upgrade for a while :eek:

C

catman61

Thanks for the answer.Would have replied sooner but ran out of time on the computer!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE