Instant Noodles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Which, in your opinion are the Best instant noodles, to start, i quite like Aldi's ones (curry flavour). Plus which is your favourite flavour ?;)

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
To be honest I think they're all made in the same factory and just put into different bags,
My favourite flavour is chicken cup-a-soup,the sachets they give you taste foul.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I too, favour the Curry flavour from Aldi, although sometimes I try to eat 2 blocks at once and go completely off them for a month or so.

Very cheap - hate to think of the nutritional value or lack of! I love that they put in a couple of tiny carroty specks in every block. How many would you have to eat to contribute towards your 5 a day?

Magentus

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
If you mean any kind of noodle to eat with other things (as opposed to Pot Noodle
lookalikes) then I like the wet-packed long-life Add-To-Wok ones, but you wouldn't want to
eat them on their own. The dry ones are OK but break up and are more bulky (but a bit
lighter).

I sometimes take a mix of dried veggie mince, dried onion, dried mushroom etc - none
of it needs cooking, just rehydrating (add water to a portion-sized ziploc bag an hour
or so before you want to eat) and I take spices separately so I can vary the flavour
(curry/chilli/paprika/etc) even if I can't vary the texture with wild mushrooms etc.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hydrate any cheap noodle in warm water then stir fry in the lard from a tin of the sausages in lard I mentioned in an earlier post, should be a good high fat/carb winter food, serve with the sausages diced into the noodles.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I don't have a favourite band as such. I've used Tesco's, Morrisons, Somerfields - all very much the same. Perhaps very slight differences in the little packets of flavourings. I do like not using the flavourings , but adding a cup-a-soup into it instead. More flavour and slightly thicker too.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Well a friend of mine who is from Honk Kong got very excited when he saw "Doll Noodles" in tescos a couple of years ago and he insists that they are the superior noodle! I have tried a couple of packets and they do seem nice, so I would plump for those...... but tbh anything works if you add other stuff to them

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The way I see it, noodles, regardless of brand, and MRM sausages in lard, are among the many important items that help some folk cope through their day. Latest research shows that these foods do their bit, in a round-about way, of providing part of their essential daily dose of humour.

While the grade of humour supplied is not to everyone's taste, some people fairly thrive on it, can't get enough of it in fact.

Its unknown at this time whether indulging in such things can damage health over the long term, certainly it can't be beneficial. The thing that has researchers most baffled though is why, when there is such a wealth of less exploitative alternatives out there, these people seem repeatedly drawn to this kind of material (it doesn't deserve to be called food, even of the soul;) ).

http://www.bushcraftliving.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3287&page=3

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Chris, you are a party pooper:rolleyes:

While I appriciate that some members failed to see the aircraft flying over their heads today in this and the sausage in lard thread, you have spoiled things.

BCUK needs to lighten up a bit, why are so many members here so uptight about everything? Where has the humour gone?

I started off the sausage in lard thread as these have been talked about in the past often fondly from the days of the old compo ration packs and yet the replies got so serious with regard the food value etc:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think so many here are so worried about how to pay for all the kit they must have to take a walk in the woods (which is all most do) that the humour has gone to the point where they can't even see it starting.

Lighten up for crying out loud

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I'm just glad I didn't mention to check the middle sausage hadn't been removed then replaced sortly after.That would have really raised some eyebrows.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Rik,
You are only sore that it isn't a private party any more :p I just think that its more sociable, friendly even, to laugh with people, rather than at them so gave other folk reading this thread the chance to see what a joke it was for you all.

Unfortunately I am not the shining wit that you and some of your friends are :(, so it probably was too much to hope that you would see the humour I intended in my post .

Anyway, about this ban that you are hankering after in order fit in with your friends...does it have to be earned on merit to carry full kudos :cool: , or will a simulated ban work as well? :confused: I am guessing that its a bit like a tatoo; if its been done with marker pen it just isn't the same.

If a simulated ban will work, all you have to do is ask :ban:! After all, you have been here a long time, posted lots of good information and rarely strayed beyond mildly annoying on a few rare occasions (would that I could say the same for myself :rolleyes: ) Its the least we could do if it will help you out.

I only became aware of your predicament fairly recently. You have been so circumspect in your quest that no one noticed until it got mentioned in one of the Bushcraft Living threads about infractions and banning on BCUK. While I find it baffling and puzzling that so many experienced outdoorsmen would choose to spend so much time sitting in front of a computer discussing such things, its clearly a matter of interest and great pride. (For info, I don't have time to surf other bushcraft forums, especially just for laughs...but our spies are everwhere!!!!! :naughty: )

As I say, if you would really like a ban, drop me a PM. I can do custom infractions too...just let me know how I can help. If only a real, full blooded ban (or infraction) will do, you will have step up your efforts a notch. As you have noticed, we aren't all that attentive, so we only get around to issuing real bans after someone has really unequivocally shown they are only here to cause trouble, or profit at the other member's expense. You gotta do something big to catch a Mod's attention! :AR15firin

Best Regards :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Rik,
You are only sore that it isn't a private party any more :p I just think that its more sociable, friendly even, to laugh with people, rather than at them so gave other folk reading this thread the chance to see what a joke it was for you all.

Unfortunately I am not the shining wit that you and some of your friends are :(, so it probably was too much to hope that you would see the humour I intended in my post .

Anyway, about this ban that you are hankering after in order fit in with your friends...does it have to be earned on merit to carry full kudos :cool: , or will a simulated ban work as well? :confused: I am guessing that its a bit like a tatoo; if its been done with marker pen it just isn't the same.

If a simulated ban will work, all you have to do is ask :ban:! After all, you have been here a long time, posted lots of good information and rarely strayed beyond mildly annoying on a few rare occasions (would that I could say the same for myself :rolleyes: ) Its the least we could do if it will help you out.

I only became aware of your predicament fairly recently. You have been so circumspect in your quest that no one noticed until it got mentioned in one of the Bushcraft Living threads about infractions and banning on BCUK. While I find it baffling and puzzling that so many experienced outdoorsmen would choose to spend so much time sitting in front of a computer discussing such things, its clearly a matter of interest and great pride. (For info, I don't have time to surf other bushcraft forums, especially just for laughs...but our spies are everwhere!!!!! :naughty: )

As I say, if you would really like a ban, drop me a PM. I can do custom infractions too...just let me know how I can help. If only a real, full blooded ban (or infraction) will do, you will have step up your efforts a notch. As you have noticed, we aren't all that attentive, so we only get around to issuing real bans after someone has really unequivocally shown they are only here to cause trouble, or profit at the other member's expense. You gotta do something big to catch a Mod's attention! :AR15firin

Best Regards :)

It was never private Chris, I won't say in private what I won't say in public and as people read this forum and BCL there was no secret message

I do have time on my hands as I'm waiting on a knee replacement just now, but I still think this forum needs to lighten up. Its only a hobby at the end of the day, lots of peer pressure on newbies to buy 'the right kit' etc. If people just enjoyed camping for what it is and not what its costs I for one would be happier. Look back a couple of years to see the change in attitude to kit that is now often deemed 'de rigeur' for a walk in the woods. This encouragement of labeled kit is often endorsed by some of the 'elder' members here which not only surprises me but rubs the wrong way.

We should welcome new people and encourage their development not by offering up a mountain of 'must have' gear, but by advising on starter kit, helping develop skills etc and if this hobby is for them they can move on to the expensive gear as and when they can afford it.

Chris, you read my post on BCL so you are aware of my personal knowledge of at least one member causing family grief by going into debt to 'keep up', food for thought there I would think.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How did a thread on noodles :eek: ( which incidentally led to my first, and I firmly suspect last, foray onto bcl, )somehow become embroiled in a justification because someone has recommended expensive kit ? :dunno:

This hobby is what you make of it, tbh I find I mostly wander alone or with long standing like minded friends, but I've met an awful lot of good folks through the forum. There are always some though who seem determined to cause hassle just for the sake of doing so :rolleyes:

I've also met a tremendous number of highly skilled craftsfolks, and they have all encouraged others to diy too.

Kit junkies are always with us, besides the shinies are fun :) The choice whether or not to get into debt is entirely a personal one though.

cheers,
Toddy

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Rik,

I am really sorry to hear that someone went into debt to "keep up" :( . I didn't see that on BCL. I really don't find I have time to read many forums these days and I don't think that I have read more than a couple of pages on Scotts forum. I'm probably just poorly organised.

I admit that I would never have guessed that someone would spend themselves into real problems because they wanted to be a part of the "bushcraft" crowd. That is really missing the entire point of what bushcraft is about. I have met more people making do with whatever they can lay their hands on than I have people who have run out and bought two of everything from Tamarak.

Human nature being what it is though I guess it was inevitable that someone would over stretch themselves. Its an easy trap to fall into to think that the "right" kit is a must have and its a recurring theme in many hobbies and interests. It doesn't seem to matter how many people say that skill, practice and knowledge are better than kit, the shiny gear retains its allure.

Its a rare person who has stuck with an interest long enough to have gained experience, but has chosen not to upgrade the quality of their tools and equipment as they go. When someone new comes along seeking advice, it is only to be expected that most of the experienced folk are going to advise them from their own context. Their passed experience of the cheaper gear is not only dimmed by time, but may also no longer be aplicable to what is currently available. Perhaps?

I have said it before to people who have wished that some aspect of the forum was different, but the best way is to lead by example. I know you have written loads of stuff about camping without spending a load on gear, but have you compiled it into an article, with photos? Maybe something that could be made a Sticky in the Kit forum? You might have one over on BCL, but since you say we need one here, how about it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE