Insect repellent ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
R-Bowskill said:
There is a great herbal insect repellant but at the moment it's illegal, I don't know if it's the pungent smell or whether it gives them a high without the munchies but the smoke of a well known plant even works with Scottish midges.

(note I'm not advocating anyone breaks the law but any Dutch readers might be able to develop this idea)

Really? I've never noticed that before... I guess I need to do more field research. ;) :)

Personally, I swear by bog myrtle, smoke (fire or tobacco) and wrapping up. Just don't offer the little buggers any exposed flesh. I just need to figure out a decent means of smoking and drinking tea through 2 layers of shemagh. ;)

Seriously though, bog myrtle is pretty good. You can buy products made from it now, but I haven't tried any - I just use the plant. It's a very common plant in the more midge-infested kind of terrain, it's easy to recognise once you get to know it, and it's free! It's also the most "bushcrafty" solution I know of.

As for DEET, it works for mozzies, but not so well for midges (in my experience anyway). Plus it's foul - you might as well drench yourself in petrol. Hate the stuff...

stone

Tenderfoot
I had heard about not eating bananas before heading outdoors. Seems that mozzies love bananas. I'm going to try the Avon "Skin so soft" this year if I can get it local...

A quick google and this interesting page came up:
http://www.mercola.com/2003/jun/7/mosquito_bites.htm

In the news a while back here, they mentioned that our Robins are suppose to be good carriers of the Westnile virus. The skitters then dine on them and pass it onto us outdoorsy types :eek:

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
This may sound strange but my mother and sister swears by garlic pearls, they take them as a suppliment and if taken regularly it acts as a repellent, I thaught this to be an old wives tale until one day last summer up on the beacons a cloud of midges came in and gave me a real bad time, but my sister was untouched, they recon you must take them a month or two befor they work, so I'm trying it and if it fails at least its good for the circulation.

Ian

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
How about trying one of these little hobo-stoves and addig a bit of citronella?

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=3814

I made one in the tin left over from some vaselin (the little 99p tins for chapped lips you can buy in boots etc) and it burnt well and is no bigger than a matchbox (but round :D ). I'm sure if you added some smellies that would work very well too, perfect yellow flame, warm and light!

Ben

I was told once too that splashing a bit of whisky over you does the trick... I think i'd go for the the distracting effects of the rest of the bottle, once you've tipped the first dram over your head!

A

Annie

Martyn said:
Problem with that is, you cant give yourself high vitC levels, as soon as you have enough, you just pee out the surplus. You can have a deficiency, or just enough, but not too much.

Sorry. Have to comment here - if you take too much vit C you get the squits. Its vit B that gets pee'd out. Everyone has a different daily max for Vit C (generally 5 - 10 g/day). Just keep upping the dose 'til you get the runs & thats your normal daily max but it will go up when you're ill.
God, I'm such a nerd!! :banghead:

Back on topic - I've also been told to take brewers yeast, but you have to take it for a few weeks before exposure and you have to take about 6 tablets a day.

Best thing is to take me with you - everything that bites will be too busy feasting on me. I think my record is 40 bites in one day, each one 2" diameter - fun

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I have a question, more a plea for advice. I’m looking for some insect repellent. I prefer something DEET free because of the current research claiming it is bad for the environment. In the middle of next month I’ll be spending a few days in the woods and some (I hope) open meadows of sunny Devon. I’m not normally insect food, and in the past I am rarely bitten; I just want something to take with me, just in case the flies and midges take a shine to me.
So,
What do you / have you used?
Would you recommend it, if not why not?
Is their any plants/ plant juice oils etc...? that can be used in case of bug attack to ward of the blighters in place of chemicals and the like.
Do they work?
What do you have to do to make them work?

Am I being a biggirlsblouse™ ? Should I welcome the bugs, midges biteythings with welcome veins, is that the manly thing to do?
Is walking about with a netbag on your head as embarrassing as admitting you used to have a mullet, or should it be considered over and above the chemicals

Venger

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
Nottingham
It's odd that some repellents work on some people and don't work with others.

I think you have to start thinking like a midge!
They hone in on heat and carbon dioxide, as well as scents I'm not aware off (In your breath and from your skin - this is probably where the garlic pearls comes in, it alters or masks some of the scent from your skin)
I've read that they can track you via your carbon dioxide levels (I'll have to dig out where I read this)
Certain colours also attract them (black springs to mind)

You might want to try just plain old ordinary candles in your camp, which might distract some of them (higher heat levels, lots of CO2 - and they pop when they hit it :) )

Most of the non-DEET products tend to need reapplying more often, like every 30 mins - you just have to get into the habit of doing it (unlike me who keeps forgetting)

Now in the book 'British Native Trees' by Piers Warren, he mentions that oil from Birch trees is a good insect repellent, so I suggest you always have a few birch logs to add to your fire
(I'm not sure how you collect the oil from a tree anyway)

An interesting view on midges - (reaffirms what I thought)
Info on midges

Anyway these are just thoughts

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
gregorach said:
you might as well drench yourself in petrol...

combine smoke and fire by drenching yourself in petrol and then apply a spark from yer favuorite fire lighting kit. this is sure to keep the midges off, plus the sensation of being burned alive will be a light relief from the biting wee b******s.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Venger said:
Now in the book 'British Native Trees' by Piers Warren, he mentions that oil from Birch trees is a good insect repellent, so I suggest you always have a few birch logs to add to your fire
(I'm not sure how you collect the oil from a tree anyway)

Anyway these are just thoughts

Collect quantities of the leaves, twigs, and inner epidermis of the birch bark, shred, add water, boil for several hours, collecting the steam, and distil by evaporating and collecting the volatiles. Strain the bark and leaves out and distil the remaining juice.
not really easy in the field

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Wilderness 1-2-1 do Neem tree extract. I used it in Scotland last June, and it worked on the midges, but did need re-applying, but only every few hours. Wilkinsons do Bayerprene which is good. I have some PreVent which is pyrethrum from African Chrysanthemums, still to try that.

Permethrin clothing treatments are very good.

Elder leaves are supposed to work, crushed I would guess, so said someone on here.

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
I contacted Avon to ask about their Skin So Soft products, this is the reply I had.

"Thank you for your recent email.
We have had reports, from Avon Representatives and their customers, that Avon’s Skin So Soft, Woodland Fresh (now Soft and Fresh) Bath Oil and Body Oil Spray has been seen to act as an effective insect repellent. Our quality department have advised me that it is the aroma of these products which may have this effect. Citronellol is included in the perfume used in these products and is listed in the ingredients panel on their packaging.

Skin So Soft Woodland Fresh is now called Skin So Soft, Soft and Fresh. The packaging has been re-designed and the formula has been adjusted for improved softness and moisturisation. The same fragrance has been used at a reduced level. However these products are marketed and sold by Avon as bath preparations only. We do not recommend any Skin So Soft products for any other use.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us."

When I emailed them I asked about "Bug Guard" but it isn't mentioned in the reply.

Hope this helps.

Bonzo

N

Nigel Harper

we had midges really bad last time i was out last week. we used jungle formula spray which is 50% deet. it worked a bit but it was hot and we were sweaty and it didnt last long probably cos of the sweat. this thread is great lots of ideas ill be trying them next time. i hadnt hear about the charcole from fire logs ive got to try that! i heard that your pee might help too but i dont want to try that thats not my bag baby.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Boil up a good handful of bog myrtle leaves, mugwort leaves/flowers and lemonbalm leaves. Cover pot and leave to cool; strain. Wipe the liquid on with a soft cloth or make wipes using bounty kitchen towels. Soak your shemagh in the liquid and allow to dry, repeat as necessary, but the scent helps to deter the midge.

Cheers,
Toddy

bazil

Jul 14, 2006
under a fallen tree
bring your missus along....and upon seeing the swarm coming....boot her directly into thier horrid biting path....then leggit in the opposite direction...i bet it might just work.....missus wont be pleased tho

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
I got a job now being in the forest for 10 hours each day, up here in the north we have millions of mossies, all kinds off. The old guys I am working with swear that the old djungle oil mixed with becks oil was the best repellent.

the new djungle oil is not so strong anymore because of EU regulations.
Becks oil is the stuff you get out of birch bark, this tar-oil is mixed with the dungle oil 2 parts dungle oil and 1 part becks oil.

I just bought this very old cabin and guess what I found.... a bottle old dungle oil, still the glass bottle. I quickly bought a bottle of becks oil here and off I go to get the best insect repellent. I guess the old times here will get notaligic fits when they smell my new stuff.

cheers

Abbe

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Abbe, it is possible to buy birch essential oil, but there are always warning labels attached about potential skin irritation. Maybe that's why the Beck's oil isn't as *strong* as it was. You couild find a Swedish aromatherapy essential oil supplier and ask, I suppose.
Actually there's a wonderful Finnish site that sells organic essential oils....I had to get my son to translate for me and I never did get around to ordering from them. I'll see if I can find the link.
Let us know how you get on with the Beck's oil, will you? It'd be good to have another weapon in the war on the biting plague .

Cheers,
Toddy

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Toddy said:
Abbe, it is possible to buy birch essential oil, but there are always warning labels attached about potential skin irritation. Maybe that's why the Beck's oil isn't as *strong* as it was. You couild find a Swedish aromatherapy essential oil supplier and ask, I suppose.
Actually there's a wonderful Finnish site that sells organic essential oils....I had to get my son to translate for me and I never did get around to ordering from them. I'll see if I can find the link.
Let us know how you get on with the Beck's oil, will you? It'd be good to have another weapon in the war on the biting plague .

Cheers,
Toddy

its not the Becks oil, there is no problem getting it here. What the problem is is to get the old "djungle oil" (swedish name is: "Djungel Olja") which was so strong somehow that the EU was putting regulations on it. I have to try it now as I found a old bottle. All the old people I am talking to are talking about this particular mix of takeing the old djungle oil and mix it with becks oil.

I believe that the becks oil makes it stick to your skin and helps to keep it there even when you sweat. That could be a trick too for Nickel Harper next time around that he mix his repellent with some Becks oil.

I will tell you guys if it is really as good as the old people are bragging about! ;)

cheers
Abbe

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:eek: ooops, sorry Abbe, ought to have read a little slower.
Okay then, can you see if you can find a list of ingredients in the djungle oil? The Jungle Formula stuff here was mostly citronella, which I don't like.

Cheers,
Toddy

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Toddy said:
:eek: ooops, sorry Abbe, ought to have read a little slower.
Okay then, can you see if you can find a list of ingredients in the djungle oil? The Jungle Formula stuff here was mostly citronella, which I don't like.

Cheers,
Toddy

Ok, tomorror I go out to my cabin and see if I can read something on that bottle.
It must have to do with the DEET which was incredible high in that old stuff.
If I find something, I come back to you about it.

cheers
Abbe

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Having been eaten alive last summer in Sardinia, I'm keen to try something other than the ineffective (and apparently highly toxic) DEET I used last year. Searching on here I've found mention of Avon's Skin So Soft, but there seems to be some confusion about which of that range is the one to use, and possibly even whether it's as effective as it once was:-

I think I saw the dry body oil recommended somewhere, it was a spray on. I also thought there was a version of the lotion with some insect repellent stuff built in but after having a quick look I couldn't find it either.
The skin-so-soft spray
It has to be the one in the tub though, not the spray on and it's the original woodland scented one you want. Having said that, they now have a new product called "Bug Guard"
There seems to some confliction advice on which of the "Skin so Soft" products work best. I have been told that it's the Dry Oil that gives the best insect protection, yet an earlier post here says if the Tub of moisturiser. Other posts on BCUK also recomend the dry Oil. Can anyone give a catagoric answer?
I contacted Avon to ask about their Skin So Soft products, this is the reply I had.

"Thank you for your recent email.
We have had reports, from Avon Representatives and their customers, that Avon’s Skin So Soft, Woodland Fresh (now Soft and Fresh) Bath Oil and Body Oil Spray has been seen to act as an effective insect repellent. Our quality department have advised me that it is the aroma of these products which may have this effect. Citronellol is included in the perfume used in these products and is listed in the ingredients panel on their packaging.

Skin So Soft Woodland Fresh is now called Skin So Soft, Soft and Fresh. The packaging has been re-designed and the formula has been adjusted for improved softness and moisturisation. The same fragrance has been used at a reduced level. However these products are marketed and sold by Avon as bath preparations only. We do not recommend any Skin So Soft products for any other use.

Can anyone offer some advice?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE