Insect repellent ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Wife and I were on safari in Botswana in 1984. Flew out to Chief's Island in the Okavango delta from Maun for a couple of days. Had to travel very light in the small aircraft and left mozzie net behind by mistake. In that heat, we found that DEET roll-on repellant (Tabard) lasted about 20 mins before the effective agent had evaporated away and insects were actually landing on and chomping us. We spent two very miserable nights: choice of either cooking in our (down) sleeping bags, or staying awake and applying repellant every 20 mins.

Last year, I was sent some herbal stuff called 'Crocodile' to try (candles and lotion). It seemed reasonably effective against junior grade skeeters, but haven't yet tested it against black belts. It smells quite nice and is much more pleasant to use than DEET based products.

www.DEETfree.com

Burnt Ash

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
:rolmao: :eek:):
Burnt Ash said:
It seemed reasonably effective against junior grade skeeters, but haven't yet tested it against black belts.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
I've never really suffered much from bites myself, but then I haven't been exposed to the highlands of Scotland. I've heard a few people recommend Nordic Summer although I've no idea if it's available in the UK.
One thing I can tell you - If your not the wearer it stinks to high heaven.

Matt

J

JeremyH

Whilst working in Southern Africa during the 80's - Swaziland and South Africa (in a variety of habitats) I we used Autan - do not know if it's available anymore. Here all the locals/farmers/crofters/ghillies use Skin So Soft. The local Avon rep does a great job!

Seems to keep our midges at bay!
JeremyH

D

Duncs

A bit late to this thread I know....
I was in Canada last year, mid June -mid July, canoeing and camping in the beautiful wilds of Ontario. My wife and I (sounds like the Life of Brian) tried EVERY and I mean every, type of insect repellant available out there, from 100% DEET to all natural, citronella, Skin So Soft and so on. Nothing was effective!! :yikes: Admittedly the mossies and Black Fly (curse their existence) were pretty fierce, but hey, we're top of the food chain and all that.
Since then I have been researching alternatives by trawling through old books and I'm going to be experimenting with a new (or forgotten is more accurate) combination of oils this spring/summer. I will let anyone who's interested how I get on.....

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
That's what I thought ... next time I think I've going to use placebos with a dash of snake oil.
Duncs said:
My wife and I (sounds like the Life of Brian) tried EVERY and I mean every, type of insect repellant available out there, from 100% DEET to all natural, citronella, Skin So Soft and so on. Nothing was effective!! :yikes:

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
The thing that worked for black fly was clothing. Those in our group wearing long-sleeved shirts, long trousers, scarfs, and hats, had MANY fewer bites than the shorts-and-t-shirt crowd. The little %^T#@@ do try to find a way to crawl inside your shirt, however.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Yep... cover up. I spent a few monssons in asia and there was nothing I found that repelled 'all' bugs... some repellents worked better on some species than other.
Covering up is the best preventative.... mosi head net and even gloves in the worst of it.... just sit and wait them out.

:)
Ed

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Talking about Nordic Summer insect repellent

Adi007 said:

Adi - Ben McNutt recommended this stuff during a discussion about kit following his talk the other week. He commented that while there are effective repellents against mozzies, this is the only one he could recommend to work against MIDGES. I've just bought a tin from woodlore on the basis of that recommendation.

It's a small tin - 2 inch diameter.

Contents are dark brown, translucent and very volatile. Not as strong but it clears your nose like vick or eucalyptus oil when you sniff it. The smell is exactly that of ashes in an old campfire, or of one of those barbecue sauces that instantly makes you think "carcinogenic" !

I assume it's a refined commercial version of exacty the campfire ash repellent described back at the beginning of this thread. I'll let you know how well it works next year !

Cheers

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
nordic summer works well for me, smells pukka too if you like smelling like an old fire dog which most here do :eek:): ,infact i love that smell, cheers al

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
There is a great herbal insect repellant but at the moment it's illegal, I don't know if it's the pungent smell or whether it gives them a high without the munchies but the smoke of a well known plant even works with Scottish midges.

(note I'm not advocating anyone breaks the law but any Dutch readers might be able to develop this idea)

Prickly Pear

Mar 28, 2006
Canterbury, Kent
Just found this non DEET alternative, developed and produced in Scotland, against the mighty midge and mosquito :eek: .

Neemco Natural Insect Repellent
The FAQ spiel

Funnily enough, because they charge an extra £1.50 for postage, you can get the 50ml bottle cheaper at TrekDirect for 4.99 inc P&P. :rolleyes:
Trek Direct

I contacted them about product lifespan, and they told me that it has a use by date of 1 year+. Which is the same when openned.

Anybody used this stuff?

There seems to some confliction advice on which of the "Skin so Soft" products work best. I have been told that it's the Dry Oil that gives the best insect protection, yet an earlier post here says if the Tub of moisturiser. Other posts on BCUK also recomend the dry Oil. Can anyone give a catagoric answer?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE