Input for a new Knife Design

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That was my impression of course.

So we want the 10cm blade "classic" with a leather sheath and a nature wood handle, uncoloured!

By the way: I would surch wich length may have the blade in European Countries.

Germans are allowed to carry up to 12 cm blade fix knifes legally. But perhaps a neighbour only 10cm???
I don't know!

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Plastic will break after 30 years.

That's stuff we only can recommend to older people...

Reactions: Janne

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
An amazing amount of responses so far, keep up the good work!
Perhaps there are some people back from the long weeks work looking to unwind and weigh in?

And naturally there going to be limits varying from country to country, I will most definitely be taking a look in to that. But first I just want to see the interests of the people that use!

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Hey Janne,

Yes indeed it is I am currently finishing my Industrial Product Engineering Course from Uni.
And indeed a folder would be rather unlikely, but we can Always prefer so thank you for sharing your thoughts anyways!

Yours sincerely
Ruud

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
A Mora friction folder, with a 3" blade and a handle with decent width, similar to Ben Orfords folder, but based on Mora style, might be a good seller.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
What I would really, really like for the Morakniv company to do is this:

Make a Classic line with slightly increased size birch handles.
The Classic shape is the same as 100 years ago, but our hands are larger.

On the synthetic handle range, make one handle that is more rounded, something inbetween the modern handles and the classic.

Do not touch the classic shaped blades, be it length, profile, thickness.

Btw, tell them to start using the laminated steel more, and clarify if it is outer S/s or a softer Carbon steel.

Those blades are superior to 99.9% of all other blades, at any price point.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Btw, tell them to start using the laminated steel more, and clarify if it is outer S/s or a softer Carbon steel.

From the catalogue:

Laminated steel (L)

This steel grade is unique for knives from Morakniv. The core of the blade is made of high carbon steel surrounded by a softer alloyed steel layer. A high hardness, HRC 58-60, can be achieved through hardening, and the result is in a knife blade with superior toughness and cutting edge retention. Thereby it reaches maximum sharpness and long life. The blade can also be bent into a predetermined shape, which makes knives with these kind of blades appropriate for woodcarving.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I assume by alloyed steel they mean something that is corrosion resistant (there's no such thing as stainless :) ). There would be little point in coating the core with another steel that was going to rust. I agree though, they could be much more explicit about the 'alloy'.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The idea behind the lamination is the same as the Japanese have, to have a core of very hard and brittle steel, surrounded by a layer of softer steel, to prevent the hard steel breaking. Carbon all of them.
The lamination is not there to make a virtually ‘stain less’ blade but have a cutting edge of the quality only a Carbin steel could have given you.
I do not think any of my knives made in Mora is laminated, I need to have a look.

The english expression ‘stainless’ is more accurate than the germanic ‘rust frei / rostfri ( ‘rust free’ translated)
Those alloys stain (rust) less than Carbon steels. But the are nit free from it.

Today, in Japan, several manufacturers do make a laminated blade with stain less outer and high carbon inner. I have two of those.
Kitchen knifes. Fantastic.

I also have a set of handmade knifes, where the blade is high Carbon steel, but the tang is S/s. So no rusting of tang, no splitting of the rosewood handle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE