Inner tube and knife handles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I remember reading a thread once that had something to do with using bicycle tire inner tubing as extra grip on a knife handle ? I tried searching for it but couldn't find the thread I was looking for.

Anyway want to help me out on this one?

Thanks,

Adam

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Could well have been me - I often stretch a piece over the handle of my Mora to give a softer grip (good firelighting stuff too)

Red

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I never saw the original message thread, but it can give you a pretty good grip. Just like rubber soles on shoes, that rubber makes a good grip - especially when wet.

Cut your innertube in long narrow strips. Hold one end onto your knife handle, then start wrapping around your handle pulling/stretching the innertube. Spiral wrap it down around your knife handle. When you get to the end, figure out a way to attach it - tacks, glue, wire, etc. You could glue one wide piece around the whole handle at once, but that spiral wrap gives you all those little edges for extra grip. And the rubber adds a little cushioning.

But it also adds more bulk. Car and truck innertubes are fairly thick, and will add a lot of bulk to your handle quickly. Bicycle tubes are much thinner, stretch easier and more, and tend to work better.

You can cut long strips by doing a spiral cut around the end of your innertube. Cut your innertube completely through. Then start your long strip. Cut in at a slight angle until you are in as wide as the stripe you want. Then cut parallel to the edge as you go around the innertube. You can then cut a strip as long as you need, or until you run out of innertube.

Just my humble thoughts to share. I hope they help.

Mike

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I just cut a piece the right length and roll it up then unroll it over the handle. It seems to be the right diameter to grip the handle firmly as a "tube" rolled over the handle - quick and simple - works for me though

Red

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Thanks, guys.

I was down at one of Nanaimo's local beaches yesterday watching the waves and making coffee on my esbit stove when I saw a bicycle innertube in the sand a ways off in the distance. I grabbed and I think now I'll cut it and wrap it over my Mora. Red, what did you mean by good firelighting stuff? Isn't inhaling rubber smoke worse for your chest than cigarettes?

Cheers,

Adam

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
you can soak inner tube in water and still light it with a lighter, thats why its so good
leon

I was given some drawer rubber liner which is texturised and patterned rubber as used to line tool boxes. I glued this to my billhook handle about 7 years ago when I was harvesting willow for a contract and I was working in knee deep water and often in the rain. It worked a treat and is still on my handle. If I've ever going to use a tool in the wet regulary I'll do the same again. It provides some shock resistance and will grip when convered in mud/water/oil. A great use if not unconventional.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep, pretty much that. Given inner tube is a good hydrocarbon and water resistance it burns hot and long - not easy to ignite without a lighter but it does burn well!
Red

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi Pignut,
I have a bit of road bike inner tube the inner diameter is 13mm ish but it is stretchy if you want a bit pm me your address and i will pop some in the post.
Louis

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Try your local bike shop. Most places seem to replace innertubes rather than mend punctures these days. I got a bin-bag full a couple of years ago just for bothering to ask. They make great tie-down straps and can be cut to make "ranger bands" too.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE