Ink on embroidary linen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Before I start to experiment is there a best way to remove the ink lines on embroidery linen pieces?

This AM I picked up a carrier bag ful of pieces of flax linen on Accy' flea market in the hope of making something from them.

If the ink is permanent I'll sell the stuff on (from the stamps on the envalopes some were bought in 1952-1955) If not I've about 3 or 4 lb of linen cloth to play with!

Any pointers gratefully received.

('Would be happy to swap for same amount of plain unbleached flax linen if anyones into embroidery...)

ATB

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Try just touching a bit of the print with either dry cleaning fluid or cellulose thinners, or even just meths. Dab it with a cotton wool ball, but have a folded up paper towel behind to absorb anything that comes through.

They're supposed to wash out eventually but sometimes........

Depending on what you paid for it they might be worth more on ebay, and buy fresh linen instead.

If you've got something nice in a finished hem tablecover at least 48" square though, let me know ? :D

cheers,
M

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers!, I am well sorted for solvents so I should certainly have celulose thinners..

I'll see what there is, after the guy pulled out the first few I more or less bought all he had by the weight!

ATB

Tom

Just googled how much these go for so I may be better off selling them your right!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Biggest one is 45" square with unfinished seams I'm affraid.

Herself says they are far too good to chop up (all are good quality Irish Linen, on closer inspection from 1952 to 1956) so it looks like I will be trading them or selling them and will buy some unbleached linen from Bernie or the like.

ATB

Tom

Baaf

Oct 18, 2009
Netherlands
In a episode of the Victorian Farm, the're discussing washing and certain stains. They also discuss ink stains and that the best why to remove them is soaking in milk and then washing (this trick seems to be hunderd of years old). I don't know if it works for contemperary ink, but its worth a try.

good luck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE