Ingram Sod Buster slip-joint

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I posted this over at BB yesterday, but thought I would put it over here too. I got an email yesterday from Gene Ingram answering another question I had asked him and he kindly attached an image of his latest work. I was just about blown away when I saw he had created a slip-joint folder. A traditional Sod Buster pattern slip joint has never really been too high on my list of must haves….until I opened his image.

foldingknifewk6.jpg

It only took me about 20 seconds to ask him more questions about this knife.

foldingknifespineuj0.jpg

This knife has polished linen micarta scales, stainless pins, nickel silver liners, and done in 1/8” thick D2 with a 3.5” blade. Overall it is 4.75” long.

I quote Gene:

Only the one model initially...traditionally styled slip joint with bronze washers...big folder with rock solid spring lock-up. I will not take orders, but will make a call list of those interested. As a knife comes available I will offer it to the first on the list with pictures, a full description and price. I will start these big knives at $400. I have a short list going.

Well I am on the short list……and cannot wait to get my call:D

foldingknifeclosedqb0.jpg

foldingknifeopenvd8.jpg

I know this slip joint is a bit too long for you folks to carry, but Gene asked me today how the UK determines blade length….a few minutes in the legal forum at BB and I gave him some suggestions. :D

I am excited about this one.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
That is superb! If Gene made those with a less than 3" blade he'd sell them all day long on this side of the pond,even at $400 with current exchange rates.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Here are some more images of this knife. I had to return the prototype today so spent a few minutes taking some photos this weekend. All week I opened and closed this one trying to see if there were any recommendations I could make for Gene. I could not think of a single thing to change. I cannot wait for my name to come up the list.

sbfoldedsheath26435hs4.jpg

sbfoldhand26473dh1.jpg

sbopen26441wa3.jpg

sbspine6450bu4.jpg

sbhand6464nd8.jpg

C

CatFisH

I was on the list early and as the knife became availiable....Gene handed me mine on Monday...it is typical of Gene Ingram's flawless execution of a classic pattern...a solid working folder that won't be stuffed in the bottom of the sock drawer and be only collectable...

IngramSodbuster1R.jpg

it is a masterpiece of perfection...

IngramSodbuster3R.jpg

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Well CatFish and I were neck and neck on the top of Gene’s list. We both got our large SodBusters this week and I could not be more happy.

halfhat6960ku3.jpg

Turns out that this one is mighty familiar to me….this is the prototype I had for an early inspection….this time returned sharp and MINE.

open6965rg5.jpg

standup6982lg7.jpg

This is definitely a high class working knife. Definitely meant for daily use.

vsandwichsodbuster3941bm9.jpg

Vietnamese Sandwich….Marinated grilled pork, cucumber, daikon radish, marinated carrots, cilantro, jalapeño peppers with mayo and a soy-based sauce on a crusty French roll, all for $3.

I am at the top of the world with this slipjoint from Gene. Not sure I will ever need another knife…..oh wait, there was that smaller version of the SodBuster coming along. I had better put my name on the list again…..

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Well CatFish and I were neck and neck on the top of Gene’s list. We both got our large SodBusters this week and I could not be more happy.

I am at the top of the world with this slipjoint from Gene. Not sure I will ever need another knife…..oh wait, there was that smaller version of the SodBuster coming along. I had better put my name on the list again…..

Neck and neck BUT.... :naughty:

Better getchyur name on that list cuz ya never know when ya might get scooped...

again. :lmao:

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Here are some“action” shots of Gene Ingram’s incredible SodBuster from my weekends adventure……plus a tongue-in-cheek story.

Slogging round and round the estate grinding grass, clover and moss with the power mower is dull work, but what good is a SodBuster with busting some Sod?

sodsodbuster7156je9.jpg

Mowing the lawn in a gentle rain shower is a rather unique Seattle experience. Cool and refreshing it can be, but sometimes a few minutes alone with camera and a few tools can make up for the rather mundane aspect of the lawn cutting.

Here I gathered up my favorite hot water boilers and decided to make a cup of tea with the new Ingram SodBuster in the staring role. The large Kelly I picked up from Lee Valley about a year ago and it has ridden around in my Emergency kit in the trunk of my car. I had never gotten around to burning it in….an essential to remove machining grease and sealant. So now was as good a time as any. I had to prune out some dead wood in an ornamental plant so I saved off some pencil sized sticks plus some thumb sized ones for tea making…all cut with my Felco pruners. With a paper of gunpowder, my large Kelly filled, and SodBuster at the ready, I got started.

teakelly7025ow3.jpg

First a couple of fuzz sticks.

teafuzz7030fq4.jpg

Then some powered cedar bark scrapped with the SodBuster.

teacedar7031wx6.jpg

And some fine shavings of the cedar, the powdered cedar and shaving usually work quite well catching firesteel sparks.

teacedar27034jm8.jpg

A folding knife presents some challenges to use of a firesteel. I generally like to use the knife spine for scraping, but in this case having an Ingram sharp blade fold back is not a good idea, so I used the square corner at base of the knife blade behind the grind plunge. Realistically using the flat metal scraper that comes with the firesteel might have been a more logical choice, but then this tea brewup would not have had the necessary adventure that only the use of a fine custom knife can bring to backyard brewups.

teafiresteel7049qk6.jpg

Blow the spark up into flame.

teaflame7052kn0.jpg

And transfer on a rare and valuable piece of birch bark (stolen from my neighbor’s tree) to the Kelly fire pan.

teaflame7054ay5.jpg

A few minutes later the Kelly is boiling furiously and ready for brewup.

teaboil7099kx8.jpg

Actually this water plus two more boilups needed to be discarded to get rid of the Kelly sealant and other goop…but for illustration purposes this is….well sort of gritty Imperial gunpowder tea.

teapour7143ht3.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE