Infrared filter?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I have a 1,000,000 hand lamp and was wondering if anyone knows how to make an infrared filter, it would make a wicked companion for my night vision.

I am sure that I have read about this on BCUK or the web somewere, but I will be dammed if I can find it now I want it, story of my life :p

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
a very expensive item!

try local gun shops particulaly those that make or repair guns, i was looking for one of these once.

companies like maglight may be able to help also you could try petzl or princeton tec.

prehaps even security firms may be able to help they may have filters for security cameras?

hope that helps.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
If you're going to stop all of the visible and UV output from a 1 million CP lamp and only let the IR through that filters going to get pretty hot isn't it ?

My 500,000 cp handlamp has a warning about not putting it face down on surfaces etc because of the heat generated by the bulb.

Maybe worth looking for a glass filter as less likely to melt than plastic - but then glass is supposed to reflect infra-red according the theory of greenhouses !

If you have the NV kit already, how about trying some red "gelatine" filters used in theatres etc for coloring stage lights. These are some sort of plastic and fairly heat resistant to cope with stage spotlights using 500, 1,000 even 2,000 watt bulbs. You may not get IR only, but can get fairly strong red's greens and even a dark purple.

Cheers

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
HI This is not a answer for infrared but i was looking for a colour filter for my lamp in the end a well known diy store beging with F sells glass paint spray available in many colours this work lovely on a 1 mill lamp and if you need to remove it later warm water and a little light rubbing sort the job out. like i said not infrared but does colour great for night time forays with the rifle.

leon-1

I have improvised IR filters in the military using two plastic filters (one red, one blue) with a peice of bin liner in between the two, but not on anything that powerfull.

I used to use it on a 3 cell Mag Lite and the light would still throw out to 100 meters plus, stood next to it you could see nothing at all without some form of night veiwing aid.

I have also used wratten filter paper for IR photography on some large flash guns, with this you get a slight glow unless you double it up. The same filter could be used on a lower powered torch than the one you have very adeqautely :wink:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
According to my knowledge of physics, you will lose loads of the output of that very powerful lamp if you put a filter on it. And if the visible light can't get out, the lamp will overheat in seconds! I have used a 3.5m candlepower light on a yacht and I would not dare put anything in front of that. Good luck! :biggthump

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
arctic hobo said:
According to my knowledge of physics, you will lose loads of the output of that very powerful lamp if you put a filter on it. And if the visible light can't get out, the lamp will overheat in seconds! I have used a 3.5m candlepower light on a yacht and I would not dare put anything in front of that. Good luck! :biggthump

Stick some sliced bread in front of it when you get hungry hobo :wink:

Why not just pull up to the middle of the field at night, lob a thunderflash into the middle , cover your eyes then pick 'um off like pigs in a barrel :naughty:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE