info cooking on scrap steel homemade grate please help!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 16, 2011
Basingstoke
Hi guys I need help. Long story short I have spent time in collecting a few bits of scrap metal from my work and I have fabricated a grate for what I hoped I could cook on while out camping I have finished the fab and was looking for some one to shot blast it in my area found someone to do it but while explaining what I wanted done the guy said to me that its probably not a good idea to cook on it as the metal is poisonous could some one please tell me if this is true and if there is anything i can do ie high temp paint you help will be much appreciated

thanks AIRHUNTER.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
zintec, galv, are a no no, mild steel should be ok but you never quite know whats inside, stainless would be your best bet, but ive made stuff with cr4 and cooked on it and im still here

Aug 16, 2011
Basingstoke
thanks guys im not sure what the metal is but theres a piece of 1/4'' plate one end and a half cut commercial fridge shelf the other with plastic coating taken off with an angle iron edge and all welded together all is not lost tho because it would make a great pot stand over the fire ill post a pic soon if anyone wants to see it thanks again Matt.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
As stated above anything with a zinc coating should be avoided, think about what everyday cooking pots, utensils, BBQ grilles etc are made from....aluminium, stainless steel, cast iron, copper, brass, bronze....so anything of the iron/steel, copper or aluminium family should be fine, the only thing I would coat it with is veg oil! Just ensure it's totally clean from any form of coating, ie zinc (galvanised), paint or plastics and then keep it clean during and after use. As stated a picture would be good as it's posible someone could identify something no one has yet accounted for!

Aug 16, 2011
Basingstoke
photo (1).JPG

hope this helps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE