Inflateable canoes! Anyone use em for bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 21, 2015
Durham
Ya know, i love the idea of going to scotland in the summer, and just finding a loch, with an island, and packing my mutt n myself in a canoe and spending a few days on an island....any one done it?

any pics?

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I got 2 inflatable canoes they are great bits of kit go from being in a rucksack to on the water in 10 minutes, the blue one in the pic literally turns into it's own backpack when deflated, not sure i'd be happy with a dog in it though due to the claws

10974692_1383948405249082_7359010633943154625_o.jpg

samobaggins

On a new journey
Mar 26, 2014
Bicester
My wife and I had a pair of sevylors. She took a photo of me on the river and it looked like seen from shallow hal. Great fun and easy to transport.

kaizersoza

Trekking Troubador
Jan 12, 2014
Swansea
Yep you will be in for a lot of enjoyment, I bought an inflatable kayak last year, a Gumotex Twist 2 in camo, I have used it to navigate a couple of canals, been up a few rivers and also used it on a local lake, they are great fun, they fit in the boot, don't take up any room at home, I have used it 2 up with kit on my local river and it has been great, wind has a distinct bearing when paddling on your own, but you get used to it, the camo version is quite stealthy for those unexpected wild camps, I had this for a bargain price last year, in hindsight the sevylor colorado has higher sides, the sides on this yak are a lot lower, but on the plus side I don't keep rubbing my knuckles when I am paddling, great bit of kit

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I haven't got one but quite fancy one, I also have a dog, my idea was to get some of the dog boots something like the Ruff Wear ones and or put a piece of thin ply in the base to protect it.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just cut a piece of heavy duty builder's poly for the bottom of the 'yak, you won't know it's there and no dog will puncture it. I've used the blue stuff they use when oversiting etc., and if you keep an eye out out this time of year you'll see plenty of footings going in for extensions and new builds; they'll give you a bit the size you need, probably.

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
I'll second the Sevylor K2 - very robust - also a new kid on the block (from Alaska I believe) is something called an Alpacka raft, weighs 2.2kg from memory and deflates to the size of a doss bag - bit pricey tho' and only a single distributor in the UK I think based up in Scotland somewhere.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
There's a video on youtube, of a Russian guy, using one & he clears off into the wilderness in it, & he got a lot of kit in it to say the least !.

Rob

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I have to say before i bought my first one i was skeptical about all areas of it, bought the Intex K2 Explorer first and me and my bro took it on the River Tyne, we both gingerly got in being that i am 110 kilo and he is 90k which was about the maximum recommended payload of the gadget, within minutes all skepticism was gone, we now use a boat each and our kit, highly recommend getting a skeg for the bottom especially if like me you use it on tidal waters, we lost a skeg off the Intex once going backwards down a set of small rapids when it got stuck in a gap between rocks and pulled out and it took us nearly 2 hrs longer than normal to paddle home down the tidal stretch of the river

Out of the Intex K2 Explorer and the Sevylor Tahiti Plus 2 i prefer the Intex model, it has more comfortable seats, it tacks better in tidal waters, it's lighter and fits in a rucksack (albeit a big one), this does not mean i dislike the Sevylor model though just in comparison side by side use the Intex shines a bit brighter, love them both

Last edited:

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
I have to say before i bought my first one i was skeptical about all areas of it, bought the Intex K2 Explorer first and me and my bro took it on the River Tyne, we both gingerly got in being that i am 110 kilo and he is 90k which was about the maximum recommended payload of the gadget, within minutes all skepticism was gone, we now use a boat each and our kit, highly recommend getting a skeg for the bottom especially if like me you use it on tidal waters, we lost a skeg off the Intex once going backwards down a set of small rapids when it got stuck in a gap between rocks and pulled out and it took us nearly 2 hrs longer than normal to paddle home down the tidal stretch of the river

Out of the Intex K2 Explorer and the Sevylor Tahiti Plus 2 i prefer the Intex model, it has more comfortable seats, it tacks better in tidal waters, it's lighter and fits in a rucksack (albeit a big one), this does not mean i dislike the Sevylor model though just in comparison side by side use the Intex shines a bit brighter, love them both

I have been looking at the K2 (Think I may have seen your trip on Youtube?). I am planning a trip on the Wye this summer and the K2 (used solo) would seem to have the capacity for all my camping gear, any comments?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
It is great used solo, i put my dry bag of kit jammed in behind my seat and the rear of the boat and it fits perfectly and adds extra support to my seat which my back thanks me for greatly, another great thing about the K2 on top of everything else is it comes with everything you need to get started.

We are just waiting for the weather to fair up a bit and we are going to do the Great Glen Canoe Trail with the Intex and Sevylor (sticking to the shoreline whilst going through the lochs).

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
It is great used solo, i put my dry bag of kit jammed in behind my seat and the rear of the boat and it fits perfectly and adds extra support to my seat which my back thanks me for greatly, another great thing about the K2 on top of everything else is it comes with everything you need to get started.

We are just waiting for the weather to fair up a bit and we are going to do the Great Glen Canoe Trail with the Intex and Sevylor (sticking to the shoreline whilst going through the lochs).

Excellent!

I also plan to do all of the Islands of Loch Lomond at some point. I also have a Sea Hopper folding boat, which is cute but not very big, a Pelican explorer canoe, an Intex Excursion 5, and a Norman 20 cruiser.

As you may have gathered, I like boats!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
As long as you stick to the coast and make big open water crossings in only the finest of weathers you'll be sound, Lomond gets some big waves on it and loads of boat activity, we've had some fun with big boat wakes

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
As long as you stick to the coast and make big open water crossings in only the finest of weathers you'll be sound, Lomond gets some big waves on it and loads of boat activity, we've had some fun with big boat wakes

Yes, I've been on Lomond before and it can kick up a bit without warning.

I've never paddled a Kayak before, do you get much water aboard from the paddles?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Aye when you first start you do a fair bit of splashing about as you develop a technique of controlled propulsion, i wear a wetsuit always so it doesn't bother me, all this talk about it really makes me wish i could get out on the river right now

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE