Inflatable canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gurnoid

Jan 3, 2011
bradford
I'm looking to get a inflatable canoe for 2 adults im a complete novice. I intend to canoe rivers canels then wild camp so I need a bit of storage for kit could anybody recommend one that's not two expensive but will do the job
I also know the rules on wild camping

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Maybe best asked in the Transport section - a few people have posted in there about inflatables.

Why an inflatable? For ease of transport to the water? Inflatables underperform (compared to rigid canoes) in every way.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Most inflatable boats are slow and hard to control from what I have heard, as you have not mentioned a budget have a look at klepper folding canoe s, expensive but far far superior.

NikDarkwood

Sep 2, 2009
Hampshire
There are certain things the British don't really do. Inflatable canoes and kayaks are one. Check out the rest of the world for information. Personally I use an adventure plus as getting a hard canoe big enough for two and a dog onto a train/bus was getting tiresome.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
rytyhe9y.jpg

aryqa9em.jpg

somewhere in Britain :) inflatable run this weekend, I'm not going back to a hardshell! I can get all over the country with my dragonfly!

Last edited:

JC1984

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2012
Craster, Northumberland
I used to have a Sevylor Pointer K2. It was great when the tubes were behaving - but I had a lot of issues with them blowing seals. Perhaps that was my fault with over-inflating, but I am much happier with my rigid one now.

Agreed, it's harder to transport, but you can get some pretty nifty roof rack solutions these days.

Personally - I don't think I could handle inflating on a riverbank and hearing the dreaded "Ssssssssssssssss" again...

lossandspider

Dec 2, 2013
Bristol
I have a Coleman inflatable. Only cost £100 odd (or would have if I'd paid full price! ;)) and I've used it a few times. Wouldn't want to paddle any distance in it, it's at the mercy of the wind. It would hold a reasonable amount of weight, but it doesn't have a very deep interior - so I wouldn't want to pile it up too much.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
As a word of friendly advice to a novice, be very careful about paddling anything on moving water (rivers) and deep water (big cold lakes and lochs) or anything with a tidal influence.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
My experience with inflatables is limited, so take what I say with a pinch of salt. These are the 'cons' as I see them:

Sit very high in the water in the event of coming out of the boat, making re-entry very difficult.

'grip' on water is poor, so they are easily blown around by the wind. Makes it difficult to maintain course in a wind and again makes re-entry very difficult. Boat can be blown away from canoeist in seconds.

High seating position makes handling sub-standard in choppy water. You are sat well above the centre of buoyancy.

The plus points is that they are easy to transport and um, well that's about it.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I use a Tango TA300. Plenty of room for 2 plus kit.
Pros,
Sits lower in the water than a rigid making it re-entry easier.
Grip on the water is improved with the built in skegs but is more susceptible to wind as it's lighter than a rigid.
It's LIGHTER than a rigid
LOW seating position makes it easier to handle in choppy water
Take these comments with a pinch of salt as I've only used mine a few dozen times.
;-)

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Many types out there and they are not all the same. Some are just beach toys and some are high grade quality products.
£500 will get you a good one.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest

outpost31

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2009
scotland
Agree with bluffer get a good PFD before going on the water it's a must. try some on before you buy if you can, and make sure it will hold your head above water when soaking wet. Be safe dude and have fun.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE