inexpensive rugged watch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 11, 2011
Vicenza
About analog watches i has a Timex expedition, really pretty looks, unexpensive and full of features.
However it did not last at its first expedition in the bush.
Rubbish under the elements... good for urban life.

I would suggest for a swatch if you want a cheap one. About 50 pounds.

However I am using in the field a suunto vector since three years, with no problems at all.
I am looking to buy another one to replace the present and if I would have the money I would buy a marathon.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Just an amber light on the russia4u.co.uk vendor of the Vostok watches. I paid my money but have had no communication apart from an automated email, and my subsequent queries have gone unanswered. No phone number to call. People are going out of business left right and centre at the moment so I'm a bit nervous.

EDIT - Vendor has made contact and it seems everything is OK.

Last edited:

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Real sorry to hear that, I feel guilty for providing the link now! How long have you been waiting? Keep us posted on how you get on please and good luck with your order...

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Just an amber light on the russia4u.co.uk vendor of the Vostok watches. I paid my money but have had no communication apart from an automated email, and my subsequent queries have gone unanswered. No phone number to call. I am following up but suggest that no-one else purchases from this site until I can report a successful outcome. People are going out of business left right and centre at the moment so I'm a bit nervous.

Thanks for the heads up, I was tempted to order from him as well. Hopefully it's just because of the Christmas rush as I've had a similar experience with a very large high street store.

If you want a phone number there's one on this page: http://www.orient-watches.co.uk/orient/

Which seems to be run by the same person if you look at his profile: http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/stuart-tomanek/6/390/607

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Glad to hear that! I felt a bit responsible as I posted the link, enjoy the watch mate when it lands.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
having come across an old, cheapy watch I thought I'd lost years back hidden behind a set of shelves, I've ended up changing tack.
I'll use that as my beater, since the new battery only costs a couple of quid, put the money I've saved the money for a decent EDC watch so I can retire the seiko for all but special events.
which opens up my scope somewhat, and also my budget, since it's not something I'm putting in harms way as much.

Last edited:

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
Here's my Amphibia on a NATO 'Thunderball' strap:

tumblr_lmdpqwA4dT1qzb16wo1_1280.jpg

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I'm learning as I go along that there are NATO straps and NATO straps. Some have a really tightly woven feel, some feel like cheap rubbish and fray at the holes very easily. Any tips on a good supplier?

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
movements apart to understand how to build their automatic movement. I prefer it to my Omega Seamaster automatic which cost an awful lot more.

I've heard that the second-hands come off the Timexes, and I wouldn't trust a watch that needs batteries - it's sod's law that you need a replacement when you're miles away from a shop.

Iv had a few so called nice time pieces ,but shifted them most are ETA movements,omega up till this new movement the double spring ( what a load of tat 39 to 65 hours reserve all for £1200 extra on old modle) and as for rolex had nothing but trouble with a deepsea ,so much in fact that to has gone and now wearing a batterie powered gws g10 .but I will agree on any casio what a great watch for telling the time .

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
I'm learning as I go along that there are NATO straps and NATO straps. Some have a really tightly woven feel, some feel like cheap rubbish and fray at the holes very easily. Any tips on a good supplier?

Timefactors.com try there rhino type NATO ,took mine off my watch in a life or death situation ......to strap a rotary type washing line to roof rack ( all the paracord in the world...at home ) .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE