Industrial Sewing machine - Advice wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
Hi all,

I'm after a bit of advice, Lately in work I've been making a lot of one-off straps, harnesses etc from synthetic webbing and neoprene, now the trouble I'm having is sewing the stuff as the machine we're using at the moment just doesnt cut the mustard.

Looking at the industrial machines I can see a dizying array of brands and types, what I'm looking for is a machine capable of running a straight stitch through 2 or 3 layers of neoprene (3mm thick sheet). We're also probably going to go second-hand.

Any advice on brands, types, power etc. is very much appreciated.

All the Best

Richie'66

Forager
Nov 8, 2010
Banffshire, Scotland
The make that comes to mind is Brother.
I got one off ebay a couple of years ago , set me back £100 but it was a brother chinese clone. I looked in the local sewing shop and could find no differences.
Have a looksee on ebay for industrial sewing machines.

antzy

Sep 8, 2010
Dorset
most machines these days have plastic gears, so cant handle the heavy stuff. I have a singer 201k - best machine ever made - metal gearing, sowed leather with it no problem, can be picked up on ebay cheap

peasantchurl

Banned
Jun 11, 2009
I'd suggest a Singer Long Arm Stitcher, shoe repairers / cobblers, saddlers use them for stitching thick leather or try charity shops, ebay etc but they are rare to find in good condition these days, although there is a clothes shop in the Arndale Centre in Manchester that has HUGE collection of them as a window display !?!?! must be at least 100 old fashioned singer type machines.....crazy

My dad use to have 2 of them until a 6 months ago and was my grandads originally, they had a manual rocking foot pedal to drive the needle it was amazing (handsfree operation) , cast iron stand, sit down on stool and it would stitch thick waxed thread through all sorts of materials

thats what the stand look like with foot pedal

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_itPpoVuAXpY/TH8wdvqPAkI/AAAAAAAAAQc/RE-MNh86_4M/s1600/singer.jpg

Last edited:

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
Thanks for all the comments, I'll keep my eyes peeled on ebay and keep you posted on any progress.

The one we're using at the moment is a brand new Janome household machine but to be fair it really isn't designed for what we're doing with it.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE