Industrial Dyes

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Im really interested in making my own camouflage pattern. I've looked into this before but I can't find a suitable commercial dye to use.

Im looking for a kind of dye that can be applied with a brush. I know some of the original Denison smocks were hand painted, so what dye did they use?

What affixed the dye to the fabric so well? I'v seen some pics of original Denison smocks and there very faded but the stay of the dye for somthing 60 odd years old is brilliant.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have a look at Kemtex.co.uk , they sell the dyes that artists and textile craft workers use, and they will give you very good advice too.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. usual disclaimer, no contact with the company other than as a happy customer

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've done a nice cammo pattern before with cans of spray dye. It's known as Stock Marker and you use it to spray a colour on a newly shorn sheep. Environmentally friendly and doesn't damage the material being sprayed. It's also fairly permanent.

Just an alternative to think about if you get stuck.

Eric

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Well the jerks at Kemtex havn't answered any of my queries or emails, so could anybody kindly explain what particular products I need for my...needs, please?

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
I am learning airbrush on my own and I know they use the acrylic paints to paint of T-shirts. It's a special formula for fabric and you set it by heat. If you have any art shop around, I think you can give that a try. You can paint them on without using an airbrush.

singteck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE