Indian Fishing: Early Methods on the Northwest Coast

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

While browsing through Tim Smith's Jack Mountain Bushcraft Network, I came across a thread started by Samuel Chapman.

He picked up a copy of Indian Fishing: Early Methods on the Northwest Coast, by Hilary Stewart for a good price and was asking if anyone else had read it. Tim Smith highly recommends it.

Now, I'm not really an avid angler, but I am more interested in the bushcraft that is illustrated in this book. Look at the following images and see how lures and hooks were made without using iron or steel. The intracacy of the lures and hooks and the craftsmanship in creating cedar bark fishing line is astonishing to me.

The book jacket's summary reads:
"Of the many resources available to the First Nations of the Northwest Coast, the most vital was fish. The people devised ingenious ways of catching the different species of fish, creating a technology vastly different from that of today''s industrial world. With attention to clarity and detail, Hilary Stewart illustrates their hooks, lines, sinkers, lures, floats, clubs, spears, harpoons, nets, traps, rakes and gaffs, showing how these were made and used--in over 450 drawings and 75 photographs."​

Check out this preview of Indian Fishing: Early Methods on the Northwest Coast on Google Book Search.

Cheers,

Mungo

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Received a copy of this book 19 years ago different cover back then, it is a fantastic piece of work and presents a glimpse into a vast and interesting array of fishing kit and techniques used
by the natives on the north west coast. I have had the privilege of visiting that neck of the woods and over the years tried to learn the skills needed to make fishing equipment using the simplest
of tools - once you have the kit you find your on another path - using the kit to catch fish. After a lot of trial and error with many refinements dinner finds its way to the table.

Its a long road and I am still walking on it. Inexpensive book considering the knowledge within its pages

fishing-kit.jpg

fishing-kit-2.jpg

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I paid $0.33 for my copy via amazon, followed by 2 lots of postage.
Still well worth it.
The Ray Mears episode from the 3rd series of Extreme Survival, set in Alaska, shows him making a hook and fishing lure from this book.
The book's author also experimented with maing and using several of the items contained within.

ladanddad

Mar 2, 2009
northern ireland
Fine display of skill, rather than just walking the path from my view point you are over half way.

Makes me wounder what our ancestors made.

Please post more Iam sure others would like to look as well.

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland
Brilliant link Mungo, it's inspired me to have a go at carving a priest since I lost my favourite one recently in a moment of packing-up amnesia on a popular rock mark.

I particularly like the carved willow lures (15 quid on a rapala plug, ouch!) and the carved floats, can just imagine the look on my fishing pals faces if I turn up with some of this gear to give it a go!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE