Increased utility bills

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
To much to write on her why.. just do a bit of home work & find out why?
No need for home-work , I can tell you this, in the 70's and 80's I used to drive wagons from the Uk to the Middle East, UAE, Oman, etc I used to get 800litres of red diesel in the trailer belly tank in Dover, exported on a T3, until the vehicle was out of mainland Europe, (EEC) once we had left Austria and entered what was known then as the commie block countries, we could legally use the red diesel. I did this for about 5 years, running a Scania Truck, and had no fuel line problems whatsoever, although i did have to carry the diesel receipts and copies of the T3,s just in case the vehicle was inspected by HMCustoms, I used to fill up in Arab countries at the equivalent of 8p per gallon, which got me most of the way home, the round trip often exceeded 6000 miles, in a vehicle doing on average 11mpg, only because it wasn't possible to get a load back until reaching Bulgaria(Honey Drums for Oxford, or. Czechoslovakia, for printed goods, Comics,Magazines, etc). The vehicle fully laden would do about 9mpg.

The main reason for the high prices are the various green policies that both directly add substantially to the price, but have also reduced global production and put up the price.
How?

It's common knowledge that 25% of Electric and Gas bills are for Green subsidies, like paying for the electricity from Solar Panels etc, there is also a premium charged on the bills to cover non-payers, the recent hike is seen by some as a last ditch attempt to get as much as possible before the Gas is banned, Shell Esso etc, are not likely to build any Petrol Stations as if people switch to EV;s obviously demand will go down, also it's hardly viable to drill new wells when it's uncertain there will be any economically viable demand.

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
Whatever the capacity for wind and solar there is, that capacity (as far as I understand it) needs duplicating for when the sun and wind are not there. That duplicate capacity needs to follow the sun and wind's output so needs to be easily turn on and off able, not baseload static as nuclear is.
So the most suitable source is I believe gas power stations, on and idling all the time renewables output, whacked up when ther're not.
Building the same power producing capacity twice is not very cheap?

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
No need for home-work , I can tell you this, in the 70's and 80's I used to drive wagons from the Uk to the Middle East, UAE, Oman, etc I used to get 800litres of red diesel in the trailer belly tank in Dover, exported on a T3, until the vehicle was out of mainland Europe, (EEC) once we had left Austria and entered what was known then as the commie block countries, we could legally use the red diesel. I did this for about 5 years, running a Scania Truck, and had no fuel line problems whatsoever, although i did have to carry the diesel receipts and copies of the T3,s just in case the vehicle was inspected by HMCustoms, I used to fill up in Arab countries at the equivalent of 8p per gallon, which got me most of the way home, the round trip often exceeded 6000 miles, in a vehicle doing on average 11mpg, only because it wasn't possible to get a load back until reaching Bulgaria(Honey Drums for Oxford, or. Czechoslovakia, for printed goods, Comics,Magazines, etc). The vehicle fully laden would do about 9mpg.

How?

It's common knowledge that 25% of Electric and Gas bills are for Green subsidies, like paying for the electricity from Solar Panels etc, there is also a premium charged on the bills to cover non-payers, the recent hike is seen by some as a last ditch attempt to get as much as possible before the Gas is banned, Shell Esso etc, are not likely to build any Petrol Stations as if people switch to EV;s obviously demand will go down, also it's hardly viable to drill new wells when it's uncertain there will be any economically viable demand.
The way I see it is.. pre 80’s there were very little if any EGR valves or scrubbers/ catalytic converters & sensitive computers/chips to damage,due to unspent particulates building up in the engine.
Red & white diesel was filthy &
most of the unspent fuel & gases went straight out the exhaust into the atmosphere as most diesels were of the naturally aspirated kind so required no sensitive electronics & petrol was a simple carburettor which worked on 4 star leaded petrol.
Modern day engines are more economical & run better on refined fuels..red diesel has had its lubricity (oil)removed..which can’t be good for the seals/injectors & so on.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The special arctic diesel here is quite clean but some engine manufacturers apparently recommend a very small amount of 2T oil for fuel pump and injector lubrication.

Here in FIN I understand that std summer diesel and heating oil are about the same. One cannot use summer fuel in the winter as it clogs the filters almost instantly if the pump manages to get it that far.

Last edited:

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
I know you can buy additives to put the lubricity back into modern ultra low sulphur diesel which the older engines fuel pumps needed. The sulphur is the lubricant as far as I'm aware?
One such that I bought in the past is Forte Advanced Formula Diesel Treatment.
Newer fuel pumps have been designed to not need the lubrication from the fuel.
Since red diesel is supposed to be used on non road going equipment on the whole, so Euro 6 demands mostly won't exist, and older engines will be more (?) common, Is red diesel the same standard throughout the EU+, and is it low sulphur?
If a new super expensive John Deere is chosen to be maybe Euro 3, no exhaust gubbins, but a modern fuel pump not requiring sulphur as lube, it could run on current road diesel or red from the 70's?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Why would red diesel block the injectors?, it is normal diesel with a dye added, so will not damage your engine or your injectors, many farm vehicles run on red without any problem, the only diesel that might damage your injectors is red diesel that has been turned into normal diesel(the dye removed) as it is filtered through Fullers Earth which tends to form a residue in the filters, ( not that I have ever done this)
Definitely affects some of the modern engines. Mate of mine illegally put red in his VW van when there was the shortage and it gunked his injectors.

In his defence, it’s a wheelchair carrying vehicle he uses to get housebound wheelchair users to essential appointments so he was prepared to take the rap if he got caught.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My electric bill has averaged about $60/month month all winter but I'm afraid of what it's going to be this summer when the AC comes on. Our local power company has done some consolidations and the price is set to go up concurrently with the increased summer usage (last summer it averaged around $150/month)

The good news is the winter was so mild even my gas bill (I use mains natural gas for central heat, hot water, cooking, and the gas heated clothes dryer) only averaged about $65/month.

Reactions: British Red

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm feeling really bad for you American types with your expensive fuel costs.

Can I send a cheque somewhere to help out moneywise?

:)

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE