in your pockets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

giz

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2007
devon
well its not often i get a chance to surf the net and drop in here

just latly ive switched from using the crusader cup and water bottle and moved back to my dutch bottle and mug reason being it fits into my combat jacket pocket
along with various other bits and bobs like small tin or food or packet of noodles brew kit hexamine blocks knife spork sweets survival tin with my own choice of contents

anyway what would you guys carry in just your pockets combat type jacket no rucksacks or bumbags or other bags allowed

pics would be great if you could i can never work out how to do them

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
Hi,

I was interested to read of you using the Dutch mug and waterbottle. I am thinking of getting a couple of sets for my daughters, 8 & 10, as they are now getting into bushcraft.
I received the sigg hipflask and mug at Xmas for use in my pocket but I do like my trusty 58 bottle and crusader mug as a pouch or daysac content.

I was looking at getting the sets from Endicotts, how much should I pay?

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
OK quickly.
Leg pocket tissues lighter,
left pocket firesteel ,whistle
right pocket phone and hankie(lol) phone may go in jacket if raining
left jacket pocket gloves hat (could be on the head though)
right jacket bottom pocket keys
top left firesteel
top right marbles brass compass
inside pocket back cheap pound shop fluorescent arm band waiste band (so I dont get run over wearing all that green!!)
inside other oilskin with tinder
Dave
Oh yes sounds alot but once on the jacket aint heavy

giz

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2007
devon
Hi,

I was interested to read of you using the Dutch mug and waterbottle. I am thinking of getting a couple of sets for my daughters, 8 & 10, as they are now getting into bushcraft.
I received the sigg hipflask and mug at Xmas for use in my pocket but I do like my trusty 58 bottle and crusader mug as a pouch or daysac content.

I was looking at getting the sets from Endicotts, how much should I pay?

hi great choice lots of pepole always go with what everyone else uses eg 58 pat which is great but more costly now the dutch bottle and mug are a lot cheaper eg a good mug cost around £3.50 and the bottle anything from £2 up to £6 you wont be sorry plus there two types the 900 ml green one and the avon 1 ltr ones with the nsn printed on the mug also fits them both

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i too dislike carrying a bag unless i reely need to. i wear a sas smock (rubbish ebay copy)

2 bottom pockets - mora knife, sometimes folding saw, birch bark or other tinder when i find them

2 zip pockets - fire steel, keys, sometimes a map and sometimes string if i remember:rolleyes:

top left - always small first aid kit so i know where it is

top right - small LED torch

i was thinking the other day that it mite be handy to carry a brew kit without a rucksack, mite get a small metal mug (crusader is a bit big) to keep in my jacket allong with a milbank bag, trangia burner and sugar. i dont fancy carrying water but with this i could make a brew from a stream or lake and some pine needles. im starting to like pine tea more than regular tea now:D

pete

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don`t like stuff in my pockets except for my baccy and sometimes a bin liner in the back pocket if there`s gonna be litter to pick up.

I`d rather have any bits of kit in a small day sack

giz

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2007
devon
sigg stainless flask and cup that it sits in is a dearer but nice addition to your brew kit goes well with hexy blocks and a old small tunna size tin to sit the cup on
i too dislike carrying a bag unless i reely need to. i wear a sas smock (rubbish ebay copy)

2 bottom pockets - mora knife, sometimes folding saw, birch bark or other tinder when i find them

2 zip pockets - fire steel, keys, sometimes a map and sometimes string if i remember:rolleyes:

top left - always small first aid kit so i know where it is

top right - small LED torch

i was thinking the other day that it mite be handy to carry a brew kit without a rucksack, mite get a small metal mug (crusader is a bit big) to keep in my jacket allong with a milbank bag, trangia burner and sugar. i dont fancy carrying water but with this i could make a brew from a stream or lake and some pine needles. im starting to like pine tea more than regular tea now:D

pete

TrashCanMan

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2009
Basingstoke
I don`t like stuff in my pockets except for my baccy and sometimes a bin liner in the back pocket if there`s gonna be litter to pick up.

I`d rather have any bits of kit in a small day sack

Snap. - I like to keep my pockets empty so I have somewhere to warm my hands up!

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I've a few dutch bottles and mugs. They are slimmer but not much lighter than the crusader mug/bottle combo. How on earth can those alone be carried comfortably in a jacket!

I've a maxpedition rip off that I use or just lately I have become very fond of a single Arktis PLCE side pouch that has a buckle top fastening and comes with shoulder straps which fits a surprising amount in. In both instances weight for both is 4.5kg as I carry everything I need to last 24 hrs comfortably apart from a shelter and sleeping bag.

Nov 7, 2008
U.K
widu13 you fancy doing a trade for one of your dutch waterbottles and mug? i havent got much but ill see if i can find a few things

regards mate, jordan

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Nah, sorry mate got a "few" (3) 'cause I'm getting / gotten the kids involved so use 'em all. Endys do them at a reasonable price or fleabay. The US cup and canteen is very similar.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
In my pockets (or on my person).......right now?
Zippo
Leatherman Kick
Notepad/Pen
Food for Free - Richard Maby
4Gb pendrive (good for the Urban Jungle)

I tend to carry a small rucksack if I'm carrying a fewe bits and bobs (drink included) but if I had to go bagless and wore my usual stuff this'd be it.

Left trouser pocket: Tissues, phone and keys.
Right trouser pocket: Wallet (British Army knife in the small inset "ticket pocket")
Left jacket pocket: Left hand shooting mitt and Frosts 120 wood carving knife.
Right jacket pocket: Right hand shooting mitt and bushcraft knife. (knife goes onto my belt as soon as I'm away from the bed-wetting public)
Left breast pocket: At the moment - sweets!
RIght breast pocket: The bottom has ripped open so nothing! (Must repair that soon)
Map/goggle pocket: Alternative place for carving/bushcraft knife, plastic bags for rubbish or foraging.
Inside zip pocket: "Survival Kit Tin" (still under construction) and tinder tin. (One will go to right breast pocket once it's repaired)
Inside mesh pocket: Husqvarna Hatchet (yes really) or if not carrying it, a bit of food.
Back pocket (accessed from outside) water bottle, any other knives if I lost my mind and decided I needed to carry more, shemagh when not wearing it, small FAK, field guides (mushrooms, plants, birds - whatever I pick up on the way out really).

I never usually carry that much - but that's getting close to capacity - I could carry more if I really packed it in but then, backpack! Haha.

DavidEnoch

Feb 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas USA
Suunto Observer watch with compass, barometer, and altimeter
Internet and e-mail capable cell phone with camera
Neck Knife - either a S&W or CRKT
Old original Leatherman Tool
Two small pocket LED lights from Country Comm
SS Peanut Lighter from Country Comm
Widgy pry bar from Country Comm
Tweezers
Leatherman Micra
Aluminum Whistle
Pen/Pencil/Stylus and note pad
Sewing kit in wallet
Bandaids in wallet
Cash
Glock 40 caliber model 27 and extra magazine
I always wear 5.11 cargo pants, wear a double layered leather belt, and Danner hiking boots.

I would not go into the woods without adding water, first aid kit, a fire steel, and some shelter and warmth (at the least, a poncho and poncho liner).

Personally, I always carry a pack when going into the bush with more gear.

David Enoch

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
David enoch wrote''Glock 40 caliber model 27 and extra magazine''.

now thats just showing off, here in blighty if we are caught with a spud gun in our pockets its armed police and 5 years inside for going equipped.

DavidEnoch

Feb 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas USA
David enoch wrote''Glock 40 caliber model 27 and extra magazine''.

now thats just showing off, here in blighty if we are caught with a spud gun in our pockets its armed police and 5 years inside for going equipped.

I didn't mean to show off. That's just what I carry 7 days a week. I hope I never have to use any of the gear in an emergency situation. I do feel blessed to have some freedoms left that others have lost.

David Enoch

M

moccasintracks

I carry a lot as my EDC. For the times and places where I cannot carry this, i have a pack it goes in which travels with me and can be transferred back to myself as soon as I leave the place where I cannot carry it all on me.

IN my pockets and on my self just now?

Lets see top to bottom.

Boonie hat

Glasses

golf shirt covered by oversize pullover to cover weapons.

cargo pocket pants

Herman Survivors boots. (I switch to moccasins when really hitting the bush, but always try and have a hard going set of boots at least at the vehicle.)

S&W knife (fixed 3.5 inch blade) on cord around neck. Heavy, but handy when sitting or in other awkward position where pockets difficult to reach.

CZ 75 in 9mm (9x19) in shoulder rig, sparks six pack with 6 spare mags on belt. two spare mags on off side of shoulder rig, and surefire light in custom case attached.

keys on carabiner clipped to belt loop. (also survival whistle and compass and LED, etc on key fob)

sierra cup clipped under belt. and 8 oz water flask slipped in small holder to balance out mag carrier.

in left front pocket coins and pen and altoids tin converted into tinder box.

in right front pocket cell phone and maybe $20 -$40 in FRN fiat currency

in left cargo pocket wallet (drivers and CCW liscense, and debit card and biz cards); 6 inch coarse and fine diamond hone, and ceramic stick, small cross made of plastic attached to a mini microfiche of Holy Bible. Present, have no idea where Cheri got it but it comforts me.

in right cargo pocket, SAK, and 3 inch fixed blade knife (home made) Bic lighter, pen, and pad.

Left boot has ankle holster for /44 spl bulldog BUG fastened around the top, but over the boot sock.

I wear a light jacket with TP / klenex in it, and any other little things I might stick in there. sometimes more ammo if plinking, sometimes some lines for setting out fish jugs. Sometimes a mp3 player. Sometimes paperback of the day.

(I am a nut about being able to walk out the door and not have to return. As grubby as things seem to be getting, I go no where unprepared.)

I could easy cram some snacks in there somewhere. I can cook most anything with a cut chop sticks and my sierra cup.

Oh, almost forgot I have some water pure wrapped in foil in the tender box . and a few OTC meds and my Bp meds.

Jim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE