In what countries is catapult hunting legal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Just as the title says, I would like to know in which countries it is legal to hunt with a catapult. I already know you can't even own one in the Netherlands, and that you are allowed to have one in England. What about other countries though? Just asking out of curiosity of course.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Well, I am a little surprised to learnt that you cannot fasten a piece of elastic to a Y shaped piece of wood in the Netherlands... Niels, can you please post a link to the relevant law? (ook in het Nederlands, I think I'll be able to read it well enough).

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
An Englishman who can read Dutch?!?!?!?! This I gotta see.
Read:

Categorie I
  • 1°.stiletto’s, valmessen en vlindermessen;
  • 2°.andere opvouwbare messen, indien:
    • a.het lemmet meer dan een snijkant heeft; of
    • b.de lengte in opengevouwen toestand langer dan 28 cm is;
  • 3°.boksbeugels, ploertendoders, wurgstokken, werpsterren, vilmessen, ballistische messen en geluiddempers voor vuurwapens;
  • 4°.blanke wapens die uiterlijk gelijken op een ander voorwerp dan een wapen;
  • 5°.pijlen en pijlpunten bestemd om door middel van een boog te worden afgeschoten, die zijn voorzien van snijdende delen met de kennelijke bedoeling daarmee ernstig letsel te kunnen veroorzaken;
  • 6°.katapulten;
  • 7°.andere door Onze Minister aangewezen voorwerpen die een ernstige bedreiging van personen kunnen vormen of die zodanig op een wapen gelijken, dat zij voor bedreiging of afdreiging geschikt zijn.
From:http://wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0008804/geldigheidsdatum_02-12-2012

With the recent 'cracking' of empty houses, and catapults being used in riots, this is one toy Dutch bushcrafters can't play with:(.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
No law against it here, kids buy them at the local hardware store, spend a year or two missing every squirrel they aim at, then go out and buy a shotgun...

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
It is illegal to own and sell in Norway, and of course also illegal for hunting.

If you were caught hunting with a catapult you would loose your hunters license for at least two years, you would maybe also loose your weapons license and have all your registered weapons confiscated by the police. Then you would be fined, I think the fine for illegal hunting is around 600-700 Euros (5000NOK). If the extent of your illegal hunting is severe enough the police or wildlife authorities might press charges, and then you risk a month or two in jail.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm not really sure here. There's no law prohibitting them as such. But that's not really the way Florida hunting law works. Instead it lists just what weapons are legal to take each game animal (along with minimum calibers, guages, or draw weights when applicable) I've never seen a catapult or sling listed anywhere.

That said the reality is much the same here as silent paddler listed for Ontario and I've never heard of anybody being fined or prosecuted.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Er... the relevant bit of that law seems to be very straightforward:
Category 1,
6th section: catapults

But until I see the definition in Dutch law of "catapult", I reserve judgement... ;)

I'm not really sure what exactly is considered a catty here. A y-shaped branch with elastic is probably one though, particulary if one is seen sneeking through the woods with one.
I also know Belgium recently softened there laws to the extent that you can own a catapult, but not use it.
In the Netherlands you can only hunt with firearms, even airguns are out of the question.

I was just wondering particulary about the countries France, Sweden, Finland, Ireland, Germany? Although I recall Joerge Sprave saying in one of his videos that you can't hunt with one in Germany.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I remember Joerge saying that catties were legal in Germany until you put a wrist/forearm support on then it's illegal.

I know hunting small game with them in the UK is legal and that no specific law exists on their possession or use.

Steve.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I believe it's legal in France but since any Tom, Dick or Harry can get a shotgun & hunting licence & roam the countryside shooting anything that moves, I guess it's more a kid's thing.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
From what I've read, it is illegal to use them for hunting in France, too. On hunting forums those who ask questions about hunting with a "lance-pierre" get soundly mocked and ridiculed, before being advised to try bow-hunting. Crossbow hunting might have been made legal recently, too. But in any case, bow-hunting requires getting a hunting licence first (i.e., training and examination for rifle or shotgun) followed by a diploma from the "federation".

Game can only be hunted with approved weapons, and the catapult is not on that list, making it illegal.

I've heard stories about (possibly apocryphal) about driving through the countryside and hitting a deer or boar, and picking it up to take home, only to be stopped by the police (broken headlights, for example), followed by a search of the car, followed by a charge for "hunting with a weapon that is not approved", the weapon in question being the car...

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
when i was running hunter catapults there were only 2 countries i had problems selling in and that was the Netherlands and Australia, however there are ways arount things,you can own a catty in oz if you say its a child's toy as they are exempt and the law doesn't say what the definition of a toy is.There are a couple of states of the united states where they are banned but not enforced,and i think Singapore has some difficulties with them.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
What about Scandinavia?

How about sending an email to the Dutch Embassies in Norway, Sweden, Finland & Denmark and asking them the question?, that's what they are there for and your taxes help to pay for, they are there to help you, so why not ask them?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
when i was running hunter catapults there were only 2 countries i had problems selling in and that was the Netherlands and Australia, however there are ways arount things,you can own a catty in oz if you say its a child's toy as they are exempt and the law doesn't say what the definition of a toy is.There are a couple of states of the united states where they are banned but not enforced,and i think Singapore has some difficulties with them.

What states are those? If you remember.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
It is strictly forbidden in Norway, and I am quite sure it is not allowed used for hunting in Sweden, Finland and Denmark.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
So basically the only country near us where we can use one for hunting would be England?

Anybody know anything about Eastern Europe? Russia? Maybe the Iberic peninsula?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE