In my wildest dreams.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Toddy's insomniacs united thread got me to realising that I have a reverse problem: vivid dreams. And I may not be alone.

Although for very many years I have helped myself to drop off to sleep by thinking about past adventures in the wild or often imagining myself to be in a sleeping bag under nylon somewhere in the mountains instead of being tucked up in bed in a house, I don't ever remember having had a bushcrafty dream until last night.

I have had many very vivid dreams and nightmares over the years often associated with work stress but last night was different. I dreamed that I was on a firemaking course with a number of other people run by a well-known bushcraft blogger and teacher who shall be nameless! To pass the course, we had to demonstrate that we could build a fire using his particular ferro-rod technique. His instructions were to get everything ready but not light the fire until he was there to see what we did. I carefully gathered pine resin rich splinters, tinder, kindling and progressively larger pieces of wood of exactly the right species for the given task. However, in my eagerness to show off, I lit my fire too soon while he was still engaged with another student and was asked to do it all over again. But in my dream, I kept on starting the fire too early and had to repeat the process over and over again. Finally, I was the only student left and I had the undivided attention of not only the instructor, but also the rest of the group who all gathered round to watch my effort. Unfortunately I had by now used up all my carefully gathered combustibles, the rest up the group had cleared the vicinity of everything with which to replace them except two large, rotten, soaking tree stumps. My showing was a dismal and embarrassing failure.

No post-freudian analyses of my dream please or those of anyone one else willing to contribute but:

1 Do you have any pleasant bushcrafty things you think about to get yourself off to sleep?

2 Have you experienced any bushcraft related dreams or nightmares?

I should point out that I have never attended any bushcraft course. My knowledge has been picked up incidentally over many years from other people I have travelled with or from putting into practice what I have read. So I have only myself to blame.

Reactions: Toddy

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
There's a recurring dream I have. It's not really bushcrafty though.
In it I have a pet fox. I take him for walks. We go into town, with him holding a newspaper in his mouth, like a dog. We've walked through central London, where I used to work. We've gone for walks through the lanes and across the fields. We stop beneath a tree I often sit beneath in real life and we have a drink - he drinks from one of those collapsible bowls. We go for rides on the train and he sits in the seat beside me, or lays on the table.
He sometimes wears one of those tartan dog coats.
He even has a name - Gilbert.

And it's all a dream.
It can feel very VERY real at times. And it's all the best for that.

But a dream is all it is. I love those Gilbert dreams when I have one.

Reactions: KenThis

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I haven't remembered my dreams for a very long time, I even went through a spate of lucid dreaming being able to react and influence where it was going - those were awesome, sometimes scary, but mostly I'd get a grip and have an awesome time.

If I can't drop off then I do think about past, but more likely up coming/ future/ possible outings. Usually the minutiae of packing a bag getting on a bus setting up camp, the more smaller details I can think about the quicker I'll wakeup :)

A couple of Christmases ago I poked a couple of holes in the box room plasterboard roof and while up in the loft hunting for Xmas decorations pushed up some rope to tie round the beams so now I can hang a hammock in the box room for when I need some hang time:)

Reactions: KenThis

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I know that I enjoy my dreams and they're often action and outdoors type dreams, I can't remember the last time I had a nightmare. I rarely remember them but they leave me with fleeting images and a feeling, I know that I often don't want to wake up from them and every now and then I can keep myself asleep enough to go to the loo in the night but then get back in bed and carry on the dream, you have to focus on relaxing and keeping your eyes shut :D

I'm going to try imagining I'm in the hammock or by the fire as I go to sleep and see what comes!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not these days, but when my sons were very little I used to have nightmares. There's only 20 months between the boys, and I used to get panicky that one would be in trouble but I had to leave the other to get the first one to safety, and the second one didn't want to be left. It was always after we'd been hillwalks or walking in steep woods along riversides.
Steep and precipitious edges. That did it every time :sigh:

M

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I remember walking with my kids in the woods, next thing I saw was my eldest [then 9] stripping off sodden wet clothes by the bank of the river. They'd had their bikes an went on ahead the oldest climbed on a tree overhanging the river and promptly fell in managing to grab hold of a large bit of floating wood and managed to swim back to shore before I caught up with them. The younger had stayed to see if he'd needed help, but he managed to get himself out of trouble. Luckily it was a sunny day and warm enough in the sun and between us managed to scrounge enough to make a spare set of clothes, most luckily of all my wife wasn't with us as she'd really have been upset!

No dream involved - just was reminded by Toddy's post :)

Reactions: Toddy

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
If I'm having trouble getting off to sleep I sometimes make lists of things to do/kit to take for camping trips etc.
A bit like Mousey, the more intricate the list the easier I find falling asleep.
I don't often remember dreams but in the morning I'll have remembered extra things to pack/take/do etc.
I assume my subconcious worked on the puzzle while I slept.

I used to have very vivid dreams about walking with my grandfather along the South and West Wales coast.
The slightly strange thing was in my dreams I was an adult looking out for him, whereas in my memories I am a child and he is looking after me.
I wish he'd lived long enough for us to have completed the Wales coastline

I'd really love a dream animal like Wander though. I hope Gilbert keeps him company for a good long time.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
No post-freudian analyses of my dream please or those of anyone one else willing to contribute but:

Freud is telling you not to forget your emergency belly button fluff.

I very rarely remember my dreams, my wife is always telling me all about these vivid dreams she has but I can never remember a thing about mine. She's even been in a bad mood with my in the morning because of something I did in her dream. Work that one out. :shifty:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE