in a hole, in the dark with an owl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
hi folk
I had a mini adventure with Hamish Halfgoat a few weeks ago at an abandoned limestone mine. We met around noon at his house and headed out to the spooky old mine. It was a short walk in and thankfully the ground was fairly frozen or otherwise we would have been sinking into soft deep mud all the way. Once we were there we set up camp, I was using my polish lavvu and Hamish was hanging about with his hammock. I bagged the only bit of ground that was flat and only just big enough to lay out on, the rest of the area was either very wet or steeply sloped. After we set up camp we headed down the mine which was huge. We didn't spend too long under ground as we wanted to get some firewood together for the night and to start cooking before it got dark. We made our fire in a mini cave about 4 meters wide and the same deep which was ideal, the only downside was we only had a few lumpy rocks to sit on. During the night I was cold, but felt ok about that as when I got up my tent was thick with ice. It was very hard to undo the lavvu buttons, I thought at one point I might have to pull the pegs out from the inside and crawl out. There was also some feather frost around which I had not seen before. Hope you like the pictures below should have taken more but you know how it is.

28daeb31-3481-4930-8a95-0ae022c03309.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1020842.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1020843.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1020852.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
Wow that looks interesting! The mine would kinda spook me out a bit as don't like enclosed spaces.

not at all cramped down there the smallest passage we went threw was about 2.5M X 4M. you could cycle around most of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE