Improvised candle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I had a try at making some pine resin and twig improvised candles.

430_3063_1.jpg

I found the pine resin melts and runs away quickly so i packed more twigs (especially) at the bottom and this helped retain the resin and increased the burn time.
I then made one with some birch bark along with the twigs and this made it easy to light even in a breeze.

430_3072_1.jpg

Burn time was around 15 min's for a small one like this and they are surprisingly efficient even in a moderate breeze.

rb

Rhodri

Forager
Nov 12, 2004
Suffolk
Not particularly Bushcrafty, but on a similar theme...

Try carrying those mini Babybel cheeses as part of your grub, they're not particularly tasty I know but they're food (of sorts) and wonderfully portable. And if you mould a few of the waxy outer coatings around some string/twine - voila - a very servicable candle. ;)

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Excellent idea, it would be good to make a few up for when the camp fire has burnt right down and you just need a bit of light or warmth in a hurry that is portable.

Philbert

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2004
Northern Ireland
Wow looks super simple and effective. I just wouldnt like to have to move it around too much, a melted blob of pine tar on the hand would smart big style!!! :eek:

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
You can make a very nice candle from an orange peel. Leave the white yoke that runs down the middle intact for a wick and fill with olive oil. Lovely scent.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You'll see it where a tree has been damaged by deer or a bad woodsman. I regularly find it here in germany, great big globs of the stuff. I also made a candle a few months back and was surprised at how effective it is.

I also tried the babybel candle last night. I used a cotton wool wick and it is awesome. Burns quickly though.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
That orange peel candle sounds fantastic.

Could I then purposely damage a tree to generate some resin? Not a life-threatening damage of course. How long would I have to wait?

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Ok my local conservationist was pruning one of his pines, so I've put half-a-milk bottle underneath the cut to collect some resin. I'm dubious over wether I'll be able to get a decent crop owing to the cool weather and the season but we'll see.

Also, I was wondering, could you stick some resin in a pine cone for a quick candle?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE