Impromptu Overnighter on the Coast (Coldingham) PIC HEAVY

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
After a bit of an hiatus from the BCUK forum I thought I would post some pics from a very enjoyable overnighter on Saturday past with AndybySea and Stooboy.
Having recently move to East Lothian, Stooboy gave me a call on Friday to say he was heading down the next day and if we could swing it we should have a wee overnighter - I jumped at the chance and Stooboy kidnapped AndybySea as well.

Back of the motor loaded and ready to go down to the beach car park,

Now when Stoo has been on trips with Andy before he has told me that it was a "bit of trek to get in". Being a perfectly spherical kind of chap I made sure I asked stoo about the spot we were going to (my normal would be a mile across easy woodland). I was assured that it was a lazy yomp from the car park.

A couple of sociable pints outside the pub and then off we went. Off following Andy and Stoo my little short legs clicking away behind them I soon realised that this was no easy stroll through a nice woodland. Only a 15min walk according to Andy - err I think it probably was 15 mins for him but it took me a lot longer. In I reckon the path in was made to kill fat people! Although it was very pretty :)

Up and down, across bays, up steps that must have numbered in their bloody hundreds, oh and by the way if you have to climb up the step using hands and a pole then its not a step. The there was a canyon to cross flowing with lava and that was before we came to the rope bridge and mountain pass guarded by a dragon. Eventually, after we came upon (I say we but as I had sent the other two ahead to scout out the way - and in no way was i taking it nice and sweatily slowly) the cliff of doom we headed down past the ROUS guarding the perilous path, we were at the spot!

Have to admit it was pretty gorgeous.

We also found a very useful seat already provided for us, which was nice.

Andy went off to gather firewood and Stoo went to get some paracord so we could drag over another good size log we had found

Firewood done and a nice chilled G&T down to reduce our core temperature :p it was time for a brew (and some processed pig)

All nicely settled in and Disco Stoo thought it was time to add a nice fetching base layer

and then make some bannock types cakey things..

and then stare wistfully off to the horizon for the marketing requirements of Disco Stoo's patented bushcraft baselayer range.

With the wine and beer chilling in the sea we relaxed - until Stoo saw the tide start to claim his beer. Like a speeding train and with no forethought for his own safety he lept into action and hauled his stash to safety - unfortunately we did then have a bare foot stoo trying to dry his socks for a while (due to not realising that Andy was in the background of this shot performing a water based reconnaissance mission you will probably notice the expertly executed Photoshopping)

A very stiff and toasted sock - dont forget your socks when they are on the fire kids!

We were hoping to get away with no tarp but after a few showers we thought it best to get some cover up just in case (it rained and we drank stoo's interesting greeny brown homemade beech leaf brew stuff)

We made full use of the bits and bobs on the beach to get the tarp up but it was up and stable. Time to enjoy the rest of the night.

A good night followed by a good kip always leads to a lovely morning with slightly sore heads and a neeeeed for breakfast and brews.

oh yeah and on the way out there was a bushcrafter who looked like he had been lost in the wild for so long all his body hair had grown and he had to be led to water - poor soul.

A great night out and very sore achy legs. But entirely worth it.

(all spelling and grammar errors should be copied down by hand and then ignored)

Cheers
Tom

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
nice write up tom, good to get oot and see you and Andy its been to long, im sure Mrs Bysea will not be to upset by the 24hr delay when he "popped" out for milk "with a bergen"

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
First off big thanks for abducting me at extreme short notice, id not done a camp out here since last August(doing more long walks than bushy trips of late)Tom that was a very easy stroll in compared to some of the places we/i used to go round here!!, i have to say i dont remember the pics round the fire at night being taken,thanks for capturing me in full strange freaky face mode...though its probably more to the fact that id been quite conservative in my liquid refreshment bring along,but Stoo kept twisting my arm forcing me to drink his never ending brewery hypermarket.Had a great time,good ole chat,tad of a hangover,but cured with the exersion of the walk out.Lets not leave it 2.5 years till the next...Stoo...Cheers again to both of you had a good un.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks like a great trip, I've been meaning to do a coastal wild camp myself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE