I'm not going mad, these are Tam O'Shanter's right?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
yearthree.jpg

sharpe year three, all the chosen men are wearing what appears to be Tam O'Shanters?

anybody know where i could get some that aren't either in tartan or have stupid ginger hair stuck to em? its a real wool hat so it should do for all seasons.
love to see if they do Lovat Green too.
Pete

Nicholson95

Feb 24, 2011
Livingston
A Balmoral bonnet and a Tam o shanter is not the same, Try search for the Royal Regiment of Scotland's tam o shanter. the guys in this picture kind of look like a Balmoral though

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I hade my own bunnet - see my avatar - but without the toorie (bobble).
I used the offcuts from a Dutch army blanket smock project - see my avatar - with a canvas sweatband and a silk lining (from a hankie).
The result is warm and comfortable and is my winter in the woods headwear of choice.
I understand that in the Rifles the bunnet was known as a "forage cap" and was widely worn as shakos goot busted up/lost very easily...

Reactions: CLEM

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I don't suppose you have a pattern john? actually making one sounds like immense fun, if not those links all look brill, i reckon a military one should do me as it looks functional and warm, all badges removed though i was never in a scottish regiment.
cheers peeps, been ill recently and sat on the couch watching lots of sharpe and other things and those forage caps just seem appealing.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I don't suppose you have a pattern john? actually making one sounds like immense fun, if not those links all look brill, i reckon a military one should do me as it looks functional and warm, all badges removed though i was never in a scottish regiment.
cheers peeps, been ill recently and sat on the couch watching lots of sharpe and other things and those forage caps just seem appealing.

:D
I used a dinner plate to cut 2 circles of wool fabric, measured around my head with a tape measure and cut a hole in the centre of one piece with a circ of this measurement, with scissors...the band was an apropriately long strip of canvas, twice the width wanted.
Hem the end edges of the canvas, fold in half, sew to hole.
Cut a circle of silk, place on, complete circle of wool sew circles together inside out. thread lace/ribbon through the canvas, and adjust for perfect fit...done!
:D

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
lol could you make it sound any easier? this is going to end in tears ;)
time to find myself some decent felted wool now :D cheers john

i've had a look online at the links people have given but the only one that does my headsize is macleod so if i fail i have a backup ;)

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
it is aye, unfortunatly all the surplus ones come from tiny wee scotsmen with heads like grapes.
damned if i can find one in 60cm.
i'm going to try making one, off to get some felt shortly and i'll spend an evening sewing one up.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Tam O shanter as worn today is akin to a pork pie hat, Kilmarnock and Balmoral were two similar designs. If you look at the Kasiers Army they wore a forage cap minus the tourie, Melon I have a TOS 60cm deep in my bag of useless never to be used kit its yours if you wish it.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Tam O shanter as worn today is akin to a pork pie hat, Kilmarnock and Balmoral were two similar designs. If you look at the Kasiers Army they wore a forage cap minus the tourie, Melon I have a TOS 60cm deep in my bag of useless never to be used kit its yours if you wish it.

Hi TS, my first thought on seeing the picture was a Kilmarnock bunnet.

The new TOS or "battle bonnet" as I've heard them called is definately a lot different from the "Doo Landing Pad" we wore in the 80's.

Liam

Gagnrad

Forager
Jul 2, 2010
South East
yearthree.jpg

sharpe year three, all the chosen men are wearing what appears to be Tam O'Shanters?

anybody know where i could get some that aren't either in tartan or have stupid ginger hair stuck to em? its a real wool hat so it should do for all seasons.
love to see if they do Lovat Green too.
Pete

They may be some variant on the "Scotch Bonnet".

I think the headgear is mentioned in Mark Urban's Rifles. Anyway, the Scottish Highlands and Ireland were major recruiting areas for the 95th. I think possibly units that were mostly recruited in those areas were issued with something like their traditional headgear.

Roger's Rangers are also said to have worn Scotch bonnets. Again many of the men came from Scotland or were Scots-Irish from Ulster as Robert Rogers own family was. (They certainly didn't green suede forage caps like in the film Northwest Passage!)

So where can you get a Scotch Bonnet or similar things like Tam o' shanters? I'd recommend here:

http://www.historicalcaps.net/page2.htm

It seems like a nice lady who runs it. I ordered one of her Monmouth caps, which is a superb hat for the cold weather, and she emailed me back fast, keeping me informed and sent the hat through within a day or two. In addition: these caps are historically accurate; it's a British company; and she uses rare breeds for the wool.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The width is the best definition of the assorted varieties.

The Kilmarnock bunnet, known colloquially as a Doolichter.....(wide enough for a pigeon to land on), gives indication of it's size. They were wide enough to cover the ears and shed the rain. Very practical in a wet land.
Those sharps bonnets are small enough they're nearly berets with bands and toories.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE