I'm making a trailer for my bike...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
spamel said:
How about an over run device like the Sanky trailers? With hydraulic discs fitted on both wheels, connected via the same feed hose, when you apply your bike brakes, the force of the trailer pushing against the bike will apply the brakes on the trailer. It should work in theory, and there wouldn't be any brake cables!

They have the same system on caravans, so I guess it should work. The main thing is the spiralling costs...:)

LS

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
spamel said:
Try freecycle!

Got banned from my local one as I was trying to give stuff away when everyone else was asking for stuff instead...Not really, I resigned as there were so few giving posts mainly begging ones...

A design and build would be much more fun

LS

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Not one to pick fault, (not that I am) but due to the nature of the pipe used, I’d recommend welding a web between where the pipe is reinforced right at the front of the trailer, (the joint closest to the drill in the first picture on post eight) being galvanised inside and out, it is common for the weld to splutter (the vapour from one joint oxidise on the other joint, making for a weaker joint,) the web would strength the area, and would spread the stress over the whole of the frame, it would also add to the stiffness of the trailer.
Also from your photos it looks like the universal joint is mounted on the inside of the bracket, and close to the wheels, is it possible to mount it on the outside away from the wheel? I’m sure it would be safer.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi Tadpole,

The welding is more tacking on the frame as I only needed it to keep the chassis square the wooden top is taking most of the strain.

I am looking at the trailer carrying very little weight (hopefully) about 100lb spread over the whole area so hopefully it won't get to much stress on it, but if I think it might I will certainly take on board your suggestion.

I am currently looking at other options for the hitching point, I have a welded eye mounted on the bracket at the moment, which is on the outside...All a bit trial and error.

LS

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
braking not realy that much off an issue you just need to rember to allow a little more space

P5050056.jpg

P5050054.jpg

P5050051.jpg

universal joint made out off plumbers spring with steel cable to hold it together :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I LOVE this thread.

This is what this hobby is all about - I reckon Mr Sears would be proud of S1 and Warthog - making, fabricating from basic materials and getting out and doing stuff!

I'd rep you both if I could - FANTASTIC thread!

Red

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
British Red said:
I LOVE this thread.

This is what this hobby is all about - I reckon Mr Sears would be proud of S1 and Warthog - making, fabricating from basic materials and getting out and doing stuff!

I'd rep you both if I could - FANTASTIC thread!

Red

Cheers Red, sorry about the amount of pics though;)

LS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE