I'm making a trailer for my bike...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi Folks,

Well a friend came good and some wheels arrived this morning for me to make a trailer for my bike with....

I had many ideas about how I was going to fix these to the trailer but when they arrived all that had to be changed as they were quite different to what I had thought they would be.

So first thing I had to do was a shopping trip to B&Q for some steel pipe, threaded bar, washers and anti friction nuts so that I could make an axle for the wheels.

The finished axle...
4kdv0bm.jpg

Some close ups...
63ax8r4.jpg

4mt6hr4.jpg

Then how was I going to fix the axle and wheels to the sub-frame...
I hade to make some "U" Bolts and plates which looked like this from above...
63v0fhd.jpg

And this from below...
5x8os3q.jpg

Then how to fix the trailer to the bike...Hmmm, needed some kind of universal joint...A couple of bits of square section tube and a bit of galvanized pipe should do, and some nuts and bolts to hold it together...
5x96zah.jpg

4v4hrsz.jpg

6exy6uf.jpg

Combine it all with an old stabiliser bracket of Ikkle s' bike and you end up with...
5zedoy9.jpg

4vqtb43.jpg

Next on the agenda is to put a section of pipe across the open end and perhaps a couple across the middle, then find something to make a box with.

Might not be very "Bushcrafty" but a great way to get that extra bit of kit to the site without using a vehicle.
LS

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have always wondered how to make one of these as it would come in very usefull
great post mate, might pinch some of your ideas if i ever get round to making one
leon

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I like the universal joint, (and the trailer)
I made a trailer using an old lilo frame and wheels from the scrap yard. The joint i have is a heavy hook and eye, but I think I'll have a go copying that joint youve made...

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
I'll get some close ups of the UJ for you to have a better look at...And there will be more of the trailer as it progresses...

LS

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
could you post about how you made the axel please ? i have two wheels which would be perfect for this trailer and would love to make one as i am always saying i wish i had a trailer for this bike as am always carrying things like doors etc.
leon

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
leon-b said:
could you post about how you made the axel please ? i have two wheels which would be perfect for this trailer and would love to make one as i am always saying i wish i had a trailer for this bike as am always carrying things like doors etc.
leon

Hi Leon, Can you get a photo of the wheels you have, I can then help work out what would be best for those...

LS

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
So,

I have put in some extra tubing to strengthen the sub frame...
6chptfa.jpg

Then put a wooden frame on to that...
4xm16vt.jpg

And then covered that with some thin plyboard...
6h4jznq.jpg

For those who are interested here are some pictures of the Universal Joint in various stages.
52d7ps0.jpg

4muimg4.jpg

4t9pax4.jpg

4pebg3o.jpg

4mha3b7.jpg

Just a top box to create now, but not tonight... :lol

LS

Ooops, forgot to turn some of the pics

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
unfortunately i cant find them, must have been thrown, i have two wheel barrow wheels, will these work ?? if not my dad can get some pram wheels
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
how is the metal attached ? is there any welding involved as i dont have a welder
leon

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
leon-b said:
how is the metal attached ? is there any welding involved as i dont have a welder
leon

There is some welding, but I guess it would be possible (though more expensive) to use threaded bar and drill holes and thread the bar through and tighten on some nuts...Or take it to a local welding workshop and ask if they could weld it for you...

Wheel barrow wheels would be a bit big for this size of trailer I think...:)

LS

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
maybe i could build one from wood ? say a 1x1 frame and then put some ply on top
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A U shaped piece that goes around the back of the bike with the two top bits of the u secured at the rear wheel of the bike is a good starting point for a slimmer trailer. Two u shapes, connecte at the tops and angled so that an upright can be welded between the bottom of the U's can make a steering joint, that you could then attatch the main part of a single wheel trailer on to. I will have a quick look on t'internet as there is a buyable but expensive trailer just like this that would work reasonably well for a home build.

GOTCHA!! Could be a good project for a home build!

stuartmac5

Oct 14, 2006
southampton, uk
Hi LS,

Thats a nice bit of kit.

The Universal joint must'v been a bugger to make, however if it fails or needs replacing often, i would recommend using a track rod end off a car steering rack as a replacement, Ive used one before on a homemade electric mountainboard with a trailer. strong and cheap and lasts forever. :)

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
mine was made out of 25mm angle iron drilled and bolted together and a kind soul offered to weld it for me after using it for a few weeks :)
Costs £30 for the bmx wheels
£20 for the angle iron
so for £50 Ive got a trailer that ive pulled up to 125kgs of timber the only thing that you need to watch is allow plenty time for braking lol :rolleyes:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
How difficult would it be to add a supplementary braking system to the trailer? You could not use the back brake when the trailer is on, have a second lever for the trailer that can be easily disconnected in some way. That may help in your over run problems!

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
spamel said:
How difficult would it be to add a supplementary braking system to the trailer? You could not use the back brake when the trailer is on, have a second lever for the trailer that can be easily disconnected in some way. That may help in your over run problems!

The problem would be on the length of the cable and turning round corners may apply the brake...However, I guess it could be used on some styles of trailer, though possibly not the twin wheel ones.

LS

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
How about an over run device like the Sanky trailers? With hydraulic discs fitted on both wheels, connected via the same feed hose, when you apply your bike brakes, the force of the trailer pushing against the bike will apply the brakes on the trailer. It should work in theory, and there wouldn't be any brake cables!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE