Illegal Camping in Stansted?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
THeoken I'm only speaking from experience matey where I've worked in the past we've had a mix of homeless and addicts who have chosen to 'camp' in really rather dangerous places....that was the advice I got from the transport police...

Sent from somewhere?

Mongoose13

Feb 17, 2011
Yes Mongoose 13 but if he really was the owner poor old TH would have looked a tad silly; what a conundrum to place before a man.I know what i would have done

The OP, says, he knows the wood well, and therefore knows who the owner or management company is, a quick phone call, (Monday now) would have, got the answer to his question, with out approaching the individual in person. By the way what would you have done?

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
all I tried to do was help the person by suggesting that it might be a good idea to move somewhere else because it's illegal to camp without permission

if he was homeless as you suggested i imagine he has grown tired of being told to move, not all homeless people are louts and anyone at all can fall on hard times through no fault of their own, there are many from the armed forces who become homeless for example, your life can spiral out of control very quickly indeed when your life falls apart, just remember when you are camping out for fun that not everyone has a nice cosy home to return to, some homeless people are very deserving of symapthy and unless you know them personally you don't know their circumstances, there are some very sad cases. We live in an 'exclusive' society, i have often thought how nicer it would be if we lived in an 'inclusive' society.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
The OP, says, he knows the wood well, and therefore knows who the owner or management company is, a quick phone call, (Monday now) would have, got the answer to his question, with out approaching the individual in person. By the way what would you have done?

No you should read the posts before commenting he thought the chap couldnt be the owner because of his appearance so i deduce he does not know the owner am i coerrct TH ?
What would I have done? I would have ignored the tent and camped somewhere else

Last edited:

Mongoose13

Feb 17, 2011
Redandshane, I did read all of the post's, but surely a wood so vast as Stanstead Wood's , it would be relatively simple to find ownership, or managing company.

And, that must be your take on humour, "I would have ignored the tent and camped somewhere else"

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Lol.. That escalated quickly!

Never approach a mans tent..you just cant know what/who is in there. If you have a problem with the person being there then phone the relevent 'authorities'. Dont risk getting slapped or poked!

And yeah I've come across worse. A little spot of mega tall grass in an opening of the tree coverage was pruned nicely by my friend and I so we camp there. We even planted vegtables theres! Lol it was nice there and we cooked meals there alot. One time we heard loads of rustling and eventually voices.. Then 3firemen burst out of a wall of bushes and came to talk to us. Someone had called them as they saw our fire smoke!

We explained we were cooking some beans and snozzers and that we will make sure the fire is out, like we always do. They nodded happily and asked for advice on how to get out! Lol

Sadly, our little spot got invaded by some little vermin who left an erect tent there, covered in graphiti and full of beer cans and make shift bongs. Little scrubs had been bonking in there by the looks of the blankets.

Anyway, a group of us took turns to urinate in the tent.. Not sure why. Probably due to our nice soot getting ruined by their mess.

We checked on it a week later and the mess had grew and the weed on blankets had been used some more! Lol

I toom it 7 myself to burn the tent and then dispose of it and their crap.

Two weeks later they erected another tent a little bit away. And they tried to burn the trees at their bases and left their bongs and stuff. I tapped on the tent, then opened it. No one home! So I dropped trou' and left a little surprise in there for them, aswell as a message on the tent.

They at somepoint burnt the tent down themselves. I cleaned it up, and they never returned. Neither did we..

Now, we were young and I had no idea what so ever that camping without permission was an issue, in fact i only learnt thatabout 7 months ago! Had I known what I know now I'd have done he same. The authorities or whatever won't do anything and if they did they'd just crack down on the normal guys who camp out.

I don't condone breaking the countries laws, but I also dont condone laws that take liberties from those who fuel the country.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Disgusting behaviour of yours Samon, if true.

As to Thoaken's post I find myself ambivalent about illegal camping but it is up to the individual how they react. Quite brave to challenge someone. Certainly he should not be addressed in people's posts in such patronising and antagonistic terms.

It depends on circumstances as well, there was a man camped on a beach (illegally) near us waiting for the weather to change so he could continue up channel in his dinghy. Had some nice chats with him, retired and following his dream he recognised the hazards but it was his choice.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

Lol maybe. I was about 14at the time and it seemed like the only option. Odly enough it did work though.

Dirty pot heads defiling a nice woodland is a far worse act than me defiling there portable crack den!

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
But I will not have people dreaming up complete nonsense about me being a "snot nosed" nosey, negative person who seeks to tell people what to do. I will say for the last time that all I tried to do was help the person by suggesting that it might be a good idea to move somewhere else because it's illegal to camp without permission, especially in a very popular public forest. The statements by some people in this thread are completely unfounded and wholly exaggerated.

The reason people are thinking this is because of the way you put yourself over on this forum.
there has been many a time where you have written things that make you sound very annoying, pushy and snot nosed.
You talk like the typical over educated posh boy who thinks he is above and better than everyone else.
If you came to my tent with the attitude you put forward on here you would not like the response you would get.

After thats all said and done, you may well not be like this in real life....its hard to put across an certain attitude when typing and sometimes it comes out wrong.
Not trying to start a fight lol but you were asking why people were so hostile towards your comments......this is the reason.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Lol.. That escalated quickly!

Never approach a mans tent..you just cant know what/who is in there. If you have a problem with the person being there then phone the relevent 'authorities'. Dont risk getting slapped or poked!

And yeah I've come across worse. A little spot of mega tall grass in an opening of the tree coverage was pruned nicely by my friend and I so we camp there. We even planted vegtables theres! Lol it was nice there and we cooked meals there alot. One time we heard loads of rustling and eventually voices.. Then 3firemen burst out of a wall of bushes and came to talk to us. Someone had called them as they saw our fire smoke!

We explained we were cooking some beans and snozzers and that we will make sure the fire is out, like we always do. They nodded happily and asked for advice on how to get out! Lol

Sadly, our little spot got invaded by some little vermin who left an erect tent there, covered in graphiti and full of beer cans and make shift bongs. Little scrubs had been bonking in there by the looks of the blankets.

Anyway, a group of us took turns to urinate in the tent.. Not sure why. Probably due to our nice soot getting ruined by their mess.

We checked on it a week later and the mess had grew and the weed on blankets had been used some more! Lol

I toom it 7 myself to burn the tent and then dispose of it and their crap.

Two weeks later they erected another tent a little bit away. And they tried to burn the trees at their bases and left their bongs and stuff. I tapped on the tent, then opened it. No one home! So I dropped trou' and left a little surprise in there for them, aswell as a message on the tent.

They at somepoint burnt the tent down themselves. I cleaned it up, and they never returned. Neither did we..

Now, we were young and I had no idea what so ever that camping without permission was an issue, in fact i only learnt thatabout 7 months ago! Had I known what I know now I'd have done he same. The authorities or whatever won't do anything and if they did they'd just crack down on the normal guys who camp out.

I don't condone breaking the countries laws, but I also dont condone laws that take liberties from those who fuel the country.

Absolutely hanging! Don't know why I can't stop laughing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mongoose13

Feb 17, 2011
But I will not have people dreaming up complete nonsense about me being a "snot nosed" nosey, negative person who seeks to tell people what to do. I will say for the last time that all I tried to do was help the person by suggesting that it might be a good idea to move somewhere else because it's illegal to camp without permission, especially in a very popular public forest. The statements by some people in this thread are completely unfounded and wholly exaggerated.

The reason people are thinking this is because of the way you put yourself over on this forum.
there has been many a time where you have written things that make you sound very annoying, pushy and snot nosed.
You talk like the typical over educated posh boy who thinks he is above and better than everyone else.
If you came to my tent with the attitude you put forward on here you would not like the response you would get.

After thats all said and done, you may well not be like this in real life....its hard to put across an certain attitude when typing and sometimes it comes out wrong.
Not trying to start a fight lol but you were asking why people were so hostile towards your comments......this is the reason.

Well said, I agree with everything you have said, and if someone were to approach my tent/camp in that manner (especially, not knowing if I were the owner or had permission) I would hate to say, just how I would have reacted, but a few choice words would have been the least of your worries.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)

It's all in your head then. I come from a small and fairly poor Scottish background with a lot of working class relatives who would be perhaps be considered "neds" or "chavs" or whatever derogatory slang word you wish to use. So let me get this straight. You're assuming I'm a stuck up posh boy because of the way I write? You're assuming that I'm an elitist who thinks he's better than everyone else? Where on earth did you get this idea? Frankly it's insulting. I wouldn't dream of saying things like that. It's all in your head.

Mongoose13

Feb 17, 2011

As to Thoaken's post I find myself ambivalent about illegal camping but it is up to the individual how they react. Quite brave to challenge someone. Certainly he should not be addressed in people's posts in such patronising and antagonistic terms.

It depends on circumstances as well, there was a man camped on a beach (illegally) near us waiting for the weather to change so he could continue up channel in his dinghy. Had some nice chats with him, retired and following his dream he recognised the hazards but it was his choice.

I am sure, even you were a disgusting teenager once Boatman, and I am not so sure about your ambivalent (two minds, unsure, not bothered, don't really sway one way or another) If you were to discover someone stealth/wild camping on your land!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE