Iisakki: Jarvenpaa Aito Puukko

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
i cant see how a rhombic gives more bite, it is just down to primary bevel angle and thickness of blade.

imo

But i think the drawing is refering to use whereby the knife is used to cut a kinda circular knotch in a material. then the spine does not get in the way as much on a rhombic knife.

basically there is less blade (spine) to get in the way

Last edited:

Frederick89

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2010
Modena, Italy
The performances of the rhombic section can't really be understood and appriciated without trying it, believe me.

It combines the strenght of a thick blade and the cutting power of a very thin one. It permmits to avoid the blade stucking that is often pointed as a minus point of flat scandinavian blades and is more agile in finer tasks. But this is only talking, as I said only trying it will unvail all its potential.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
hmmm okay ill make one.

But for it to have the strength of a thick blade it would have to be thicker than the thick blade in the middle which would affect the way it works at slicing. in my experience of making knives you dont get something for nothing. it may be that it is a nice balance, will see when i make one

Frederick89

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2010
Modena, Italy
hmmm okay ill make one. But for it to have the strength of a thick blade it would have to be thicker than the thick blade in the middle which would affect the way it works at slicing. in my experience of making knives you dont get something for nothing. it may be that it is a nice balance, will see when i make one
I only found rhombic section not an extreme slicer cutting a 3 cm wide seasoned salami (like saying a real hard sausage). In this case the first cut went into the meat all the way to the bevels hight, 12 mm, and than I moved the knife back and forth while making the salami rotate. Not really a problem for me...

Last edited:

Wolfman Zack

Sep 12, 2012
US
I just bought one of these, waiting for it to arrive.
Same as Wayland, I loved the look of the handle and the shorter blade.

Wolfman Zack

Sep 12, 2012
US
Got my Aito today, fantastic little knife, but dreadful sheath.
Overall still a worthwhile purchase, as the sheath is easily replaced.

The feel of the handle is superb and overall finish is good, not perfect, but certainly acceptable for a rustic work knife of good quality, which is what I would classify the Aito as.

IMG_20150316_204701_zpseui6fjsw.jpg

Last edited:

Wolfman Zack

Sep 12, 2012
US
Still loving it, haven't gotten to do much other than daily utility type tasks around the flat, but it has been quite handy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE