Ignore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Surely if you have people on your ignore list, it defeats the purpose of the forum, and if you are reading a thread and their posts are deleted are you not missing the point of the thread, as if they are quite active on it, it would be hard to follow, surely its a lot easier to skip past the posts and threads you don't like...................rather than having a list of people you don,t like...........most threads have views we may disagree with and people who state their views sometimes a bit strongly............I think that,s what makes the forum interesting....................and I don't think they are all old moaners the forum is a broad church of views and I hope it stays that way.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
It's right. I tried putting some people on ignore once. All it did was remind me I'd done it (for which I felt stupid) and then I opened and read the posts anyway :lol:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Online I look like a real chatterbox. In real life I'm quietly spoken and rapidly losing my hearing.
However, I touch type, speed read and very much enjoy the online conversations.

I think there will always be loud voices, in almost every social situation. Usually they end up talking to themselves, which is a little odd on on a forum because in the 'silence' of online, everyone's 'voice' can still be read, even if they are quieter.

I think the answer is simply that more of us need to join the conversations and keep them flowing, and then the characters that annoy and irritate aren't so prominent or divisive.

I admit though that for a while I used a tag line to the effect of not taking my silence for agreement, so I do understand where the OP is coming from on this.

M

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I think the answer is simply that more of us need to join the conversations and keep them flowing, and then the characters that annoy and irritate aren't so prominent or divisive.

I agree in theory but a lot of threads start well with a number of contributors and then end up with just a couple of people exchanging posts writing page-long essays, usually veering off topic. I end up not bothering trying to contribute or pull it back on topic and just ignore the whole thread. The trouble with that is that people can well reply to something posted and, unless they quote, I would never know - my bad.

I don't want to 'ignore' those contributors because, often, they have valuable things to say; just a bit too much of it IMHO :)

So, to the OP, I would urge not ignoring individuals but ignore contributions by just skimming past them; you may miss something of value.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, good points.

I confess that there are threads that I just don't read once they get past a certain point. I'm inclined to skim through when I get the feeling that they 'might' be going to go a bit troublesome, but page long essays.....
I try to be brief, but :dunno: :oops:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yeah, good points.

I confess that there are threads that I just don't read once they get past a certain point. I'm inclined to skim through when I get the feeling that they 'might' be going to go a bit troublesome, but page long essays.....
I try to be brief, but :dunno: :oops:

I read every word you write Toddy :)
Yep, I don't envy the moderators role.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE