Help choose a blank blade please...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Hi everyone.

Apologies if this has been answered before, I've used the search function but could not find the answers on C.Claycomb's sticky.

My question is that one of a novice...

I need help in choosing blade shape for a camp knife.

I love the shape of the new woodlore Pro but I'm not sure why , I just like the slimmer pointier design , but can't find anywhere explaining the pros and cons of such geometry.

https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/1383-Woodlore-Knife-Pro/

I've read the sticky on grinds and geometry but it doesn't answer my question...

Of course common sense prevails and I understand that they all have their place and advantage in their own right, just can't seem to find an article that will explain this in detail without getting lost in grinds and other complexities...

The reason for me trying to find this out is quite simple... I've been lusting at these blanks...

http://berniegarlandknives.com/index.php/knife-bladeblanks

Specifically the B&T woodsman as it just looks so damn slick ...
I'm guessing that the B&T bit comes from the Bird&Trout shape ?
Is that so and is that a useful shape for camp chores? The woodlore Pro is almost similar , except for the slight drop point...
Why is it shaped like this?

And would I be better off with the typical bushcrafter blank offered on the same page?(spear point ?)

I mean I prefer the B&T shape , but this is a purely aesthetic choice , and I don't really want to make the wrong choice , purely for aesthetics....

I also quite like their traditional bushy shape ....So I need help choosing!

Also does anyone have one of these knives and experience with Bernie Garland blades? ...and are they any good or are there better options for a ready shaped and ground 01 tool blank?

I wonder if the community here would help me understand these questions and answers , and hopefully I can then make an informed decision , before pulling the trigger on this blank.

Help me make the right choice?

Thank you all very much in advance...

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Bernie does a good knife and you won't go wrong if you get one from him.

Don't forget to check some of the other makers though like FGYT, Hillbill, Mark177 all of whom are forum members. My apologies if I missed anyone out

You've also got Brisa and English knife making supplies who have a wide range of blades blanks to make up to your own taste

NOTE: No affiliation with any of the above mentioned suppliers apart from as a satisfied customer

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Thank you!👍
Good to know that these are ok...

I've also got a Dave Budd blade in the process of handling , still waiting on some components...

Can't ever have too many knives right?😏

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire

http://berniegarlandknives.com/index.php/knife-bladeblanks

I'm guessing that the B&T bit comes from the Bird&Trout shape ?
Is that so and is that a useful shape for camp chores? The woodlore Pro is almost similar , except for the slight drop point...
Why is it shaped like this?

And would I be better off with the typical bushcrafter blank offered on the same page? (spear point type ?)

Help me make the right choice?

This is the crux of my dilemma really..

Are there any camp chores made more difficult by not choosing a spear/drop point ?

And is going for the B&T woodsman instead, going to limit the versatility of the bushy type of blade?

Why are most of the woodlore shapes either drop point or spear point , and none have this straight look of the B&T?

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me ...

Thank you in advance

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
This is the crux of my dilemma really..

Are there any camp chores made more difficult by not choosing a spear/drop point ?

And is going for the B&T woodsman instead, going to limit the versatility of the bushy type of blade?

Why are most of the woodlore shapes either drop point or spear point , and none have this straight look of the B&T?

End of the day you will adapt your technique to whatever knife you have in your hand

As why are most woodlores spear point it's because that's the standard design for it, A B&T takes after a pukko.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
End of the day you will adapt your technique to whatever knife you have in your hand

As why are most woodlores spear point it's because that's the standard design for it, A B&T takes after a pukko.

Thank you Mesquite, I'm glad I'm not missing something ...

I just wondered if it was anything other than aesthetics...👍

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
I got a stainless bushy blade off Killrathi recently and its a thing of terrifying wicked sharpness and usability! It's 3mm stock and 110mm cutting edge but he does other style too and definitely worth considering! 🙂

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I got a stainless bushy blade off Killrathi recently and its a thing of terrifying wicked sharpness and usability! It's 3mm stock and 110mm cutting edge but he does other style too and definitely worth considering! 🙂
Will have to search that , Killrathi .

Thank you for the suggestion.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE