If you go down to the woods today...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Went for a little bimble with the family the other day and spotted loads of 'shrooms. Big ones, little ones, brown ones, yellow ones, ball ones, tiny masses of them on trees, big ones hanging off trees - I've ased Santa for a 'shroom guide!

Anyway, the followig day we went to Tatton Park in Knutsford. Whle the kids and grandparents were having a picnic I thought I'd do a bit of showing off and pulled a single reed leaf from a clump to make it into cordage. It snapped off where I was holding it so I went for one, this time it was already seperated from the plant and floating in the water just off the bank (maybe 6 inches away).

Anyway when I lifted the leaf out of the water guess what was sitting on the top edge of the leaf? Well two of them actually - a big one (2 inches long and a kind of translucent/grey colour) and small one (1/2 inch long and a light brown in colour).

Any guesses?

LEECHES!!!

Well now that did take me by a bemused suprise since I've never seen a leech in the flesh before. Wiggly little blighters aren't they; sniffing in the air for you.

So, are they common in the UK, 'cos I've never seen any before and neither have any of the outdoorsy time people I know?

Chris

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
There were loads of them at a lake in the Breacon beacons where i stopped to have lunch.
I too had never seen them in the flesh before. It was crawling with the little devils.:eek:

Dan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE