if you fancy making a copy of

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wedgie

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
gods own county of yorkshire
hi all just a quick heads up
if you fancy making a copy of the white box type of alcohol (meths stove)
asda are selling corrs light in the required ally beer bottles

it might be a good project for scout's ect

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Not meaning to hijack, just offer other alternatives,

I have also made them using this type of deodorant can and they work a treat.
any ali can with a reduced neck works, I also found if you make the jet holes with a notice board pin or similar, make them and tilt at an angle, aiming toward the next jet hole, I found it helped ignite and bloom much faster.

Note:
I appreciate people dont like to open cans of this type, I make sure they are empty shake and keep depressed until no sound is heard. Then remove plastic top they pull off, but are difficult at times.
then peel the rim with pliers this opens the can making the rubber seal fail, proving no pressure in the can. leave this rim intact, once the can is cut in the place required, this rim fits over the dome base and makes a perfect start for the inner wall if you file groves into it.
I WOULD NOT recommend you have scouts do this in case any decide to try at home alone.
Lynx-Main-Image.jpg

Last edited:

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Ive tried this type of stove with a Lynx can and never really got it to work. Am I doing something wrong. Can someone give me a link to how to make it with the bottle?

Also how do these stoves rate against a penny stove (not one of the twin walled ones)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ive tried this type of stove with a Lynx can and never really got it to work. Am I doing something wrong. Can someone give me a link to how to make it with the bottle?

What was the problem? Did you have a decent seal with a chamber for the vapours to rise up? Next time I'm making a few I'll do a tutorial

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
I think probably not tbh. Its something I quite fancied getting to work as people seemed to rave about them.

Are they better than penny stoves?

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Like Shewie says, you must have a decent seal between the 2 wall's I used JB weld around the rim just before I pushed the inner wall home fully, also made sure the top of the stove is flat to create the seal with the pan.
I also found if the pan goes on too quick (before the methylated spirits is vaporising) it can put the jet flames out, hence aiming the jets toward the next in line.

Agreed, they burn hotter.
But I personally prefer the sealed pop can stove (filled with fibre glass insulation a m5 nut "JB welded" inside the top, with a m5 screw to seal the hole once filled).
I prefer the stability of a pot stand.

Last edited:

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Thanks guys, a tutorial would be spot on. Obviously one gets pushed inside the other, how do you work out where to dril the holes before hand? Also what if anything, do you do at the bottom so the meths can get in between the two walls?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks guys, a tutorial would be spot on. Obviously one gets pushed inside the other, how do you work out where to dril the holes before hand? Also what if anything, do you do at the bottom so the meths can get in between the two walls?

My outer piece is cut to around 55mm, the top (inner) part is around 50mm. When the nozzle part is cut off below the ring I file it flat and then file three nicks in it so the meths can seep through into the chamber. That leaves me around 5mm at the top of the stove where both the outer and inner are touching, it's just below the holes where I drill, 5mm apart all the way round.

I'll get some photos done when I next make some, a quick Paint sketch might help ...
lynxstove.jpg

The red dotted line is where the two skins would be touching all the way round, the blue dots just underneath is where the holes need to be drilled. Just at the top of the chamber really. The three squares are where you'd cut out the fuel ports, these are spaced evenly rather than how they are in the pic

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE