If you could only take 10 items..

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Hi everyone, Id like to know what 10 items you would take out on a overnight camping trip somewhere you have never been before ( to your average weather ) as I think it will help myself and others to build a kit with other people knowledge:D
Thanks, Ben

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Does the 10 include items carried on the person like waterproofs & knives etc ? If not ...

1. Tarp
2. Hammock
3. Sleeping bag
4. Underblanket
5. Billycan
6. Mug
7. Coffee
8. Grub
9. Saw
10. Map

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Socks, shoes, underpants, trousers, T shirt, fleece, waterproof, spectacles, walking stick ...... Eek there is only one item left what shall it be, credit card or mobile phone?

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Or maybe if I trade the socks and shoes for a pair of sandals I will get to take my front door key too.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Assuming I'm in the woods I normally hangout in, with my normal bushcraft outfit, in early spring:

In a rucksack -

1. Axe
2. Bivi bag
3. Trangia kettle, 0.9 litres
4. Platypus, 2 litres
5. Toothbrush
6. FAK
7. Ferro rod, fire flash, matches or lighter
8. Woolen jumper
9. Tissues
10. Grub

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Socks, shoes, underpants, trousers, T shirt, fleece, waterproof, spectacles, walking stick ...... Eek there is only one item left what shall it be, credit card or mobile phone?

two socks, two shoes, you're already up to 11.
i'd take the mobile and make sure i've got the credit card details written on my arm!

it's a really difficult question this when you start thinking about all the items that you take, even if you take clothes as a granted does that mean that extra clothes (waterproofs, spare socks, wooly hat, gloves, shemagh etc.) should be counted as some of your ten or not? if you go down the same route as shewie and don't count the stuff that you're wearing or carrying on your person then i don't really think that you need all ten items for an overnighter. so assuming that i'm wearing all my clothes, and i've got a torch and whistle round my neck, belt pouch with: opinel, DC3, candle, cordage, little ouch pouch, monocular, firesteel, spare batteries. a zippo and some innertube in their little pouch in my pocket, laplander dangling from a karabiner on my belt, and a fixed blade hanging in my armpit....
then:
1, basha
2, bivi bag
3, sleeping bag
4, water bottle
5, metal mug
6, billy can
7, brew kit
8, food (is food an item or taken as a given?)
9, jamesons
10, whiskey glass

cheers

stuart

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
1 tarp
2 sleeping bag
3 stainless steel crusader cup
4 matches or firesteel
5 groundmat
6 phone
7 deck of cards if with group, else mp3
8 food
9 paracord
10 multitool (pliers style)

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
1 sleeping bag
2 tarp
3 exped mat
4 knife
5 axe
6 fire steel
7 pot
8 food
9 Lucy Pinder
10 Case of bubbly (well lucy ain't gonna drink 18 year old malt )

Craig.............

Can i change no8 from food to ice , i hate warm bubbly!

Last edited:

forestwalker

10 items, overnight? Right now or in summer? In addition to clothes, presumably

1. knife
2. axe
3. firesteel
4. cookpot
5. basha with cordage
6. reindeer hide
7. sleeping bag
8. kuksa and spoon
9. first aid kit
10. Pack...

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Thanks for all the responses, Most of the items are what i usually carry, but id like to get a kuksa, anyone know where i can get one? Thanks, Ben

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
sounds a bit like survival mode to me, clothes would be relevant to the season and i would arrive like a michelin man with it all on! lol

then,
1.tarp
2.bivi
3.sleeping bag (double pod type)
4.waterbottle(full)
5.metal mug
6.knife
7.kfs
8.7 day rat pack
9.firelighting kit
10. as lucy pinder is already taken by bojit, keely hazzel will have to suffice.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
actually, if keely is unavailable, i'd take a bottle of bourbon or sailor jerry and drown my sorrows, either way i'll get grief of the long haired colonel. probably need a number 11. which would be the dog as we are both chucked out for either getting drunk in the woods or fooling around with keely's bristols!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...but id like to get a kuksa, anyone know where i can get one? Thanks, Ben..."

Lakeland Bushcraft will sort you out, try here and here.

As for the list, any of the above lists will do, a smarter question might be "overnight with only a 35 l pack?" or "overnight with no more than 8 kg of gear?" the resulting lists would probably prove more useful to you.

:)

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
four battery chickens(good layers), 2 cows (which are in milk), knife,wool blanket,frying pan and a mug. to lighten the load in the morning I feed the chickens and any remaining eggs to the cows and eat the the lot, yummy!

forestwalker

Lakeland Bushcraft will sort you out, try here and here.

As for the list, any of the above lists will do, a smarter question might be "overnight with only a 35 l pack?" or "overnight with no more than 8 kg of gear?" the resulting lists would probably prove more useful to you.

I agree. I can make do (in summer) with just clothes, with firekit-knife-axe-pot I'll be more comfortable, with a "camp-kit" (e.g. tarp-reindeer-sleeping bag/blanket) I won't have to spend the time building a shelter, and things like a first aid kit should never be left at home. A kuksa and spoon is nice if one is planning on eating or making tea, but can be improvised if needed.

For more than an overnight I would like to add stuff like toilet kit, repair kit, some more cordage and rope, etc. A headlamp is nice in spring and fall, but unnessesary around here in summer.

Actually, what would be fun is a prioritized "grouped" list:

1. Fire and tools; FC stick or even fire kit, knife, axe
2. Cookpot (and possibly firebox), Tangia in forest fire season
3. Shelter kit; be it tent or tarp, reindeer hide or foam mat, sleeping bag or blanket or just a super shelter kit
4. First line luxuaries (almost always carried); kuksa and spoon, saw
5. Second line luxuaries (often carried); repair kit, more cordage
6. If I feel the need stuff; compass, headlamp, book, toilet paper, more than one pot, binoculars, fishing kit, etc.

For some seasons stuff like snow shovel is essential, and clothes as needed is a given.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE