Identifying a flower

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
Hello there. I've only just got my Collins Wild Flowers of Britain & Europe nature guide, and I've never really identified many plants before so I thought I'd have a look around my rather wild garden first, and see what I could find. I've found this flower growing in the shade, it has predominantly 5 rounded petals, on some it has 4, and the head is in the shape of a star, the leaves are toothed and ovate, I think. I think it might be a Common Dog Violet, but it lacks the dark lines. I've haven't had chance to take a photo today, but I found a picture on the internet. The photo is not mine. Can anybody identify these flowers for me? Thank you. :)

img_7576.jpg

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
Okay I've got back from work today and I've managed to take some pictures of my own. From the picture in my book I don't think it looks like a Peach leaved Bell Flower. Rather, I think it looks like a Spreading Bellflower. When I lift them upright, the stalk is about 20cm long, but I am a complete novice to identifying plants so perhaps the more learned can look at the pictures via the link below, and then I know for definite what flower I am looking at! It is quite pretty though, if living a somewhat flattened and dwindled life under my garden table. In hindsight I shouldn't have posted the picture above as they are nothing alike!

Here is the link to my flickr gallery.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I hate to disagree with Jon, but the giant bellflower grows upwards (up to a meter tall) & the nettle leaved bellflower has leaves that resemble, yes you've guessed it, nettle leaves.
My bet is either on the Dalmation bellflower( campanula portenshlangiana) or the most probable the wall bellflower (c. muralis)...they're more or less the same thing.

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
I think Dalmation Bellflower is pretty much spot on. I had a quick google and looked at a few random images and the leaf shape seems almost identical to the picture I took.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE