Violet ID

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I'm having trouble distinguishing violets.
These two flowers are from separate patches.
I reckon this first one is sweet violet, Viola odorata, on account of rounded sepals and the protuberance being same colour as the petals.

On the other hand, this second one may be early dog violet (Viola reichenbachiana) on account of sharper sepals, and protuberance darker than the petals.

Or am I reading too much into the differences, and they are both variations of sweet violet? I accept it may be impossible to tell from these photos.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I confess, I'm not a violet (or even wild flower) expert, but I would have had both of those as dog violets.
You say they came from different patches, but were the patches both close and in the same habitat?

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
With that in mind, then, I'd say they were the same species of violet. Which, for me, is dog violet.
Again, I am no expert and happy to be corrected, but feel fairly sure about it.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'd agree with Wander that they both appear to be dog violets.

It would help with identification if you can post a frontal picture as well.

Last edited:

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Many thanks wander and mesquite. I'll try get some more photos.
Edit: they're also both non downy, which I think may also distinguish them from sweet violet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE