Identify or at least tell me.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Can i eat this Monster snail.?

In all my life, 48 years so far, i have never seen a snail of this magnitude.

Been doing a bit of Landscape gardening this week, well, more deforestation than gardening and i keep finding these monster snails. that's about a dozen so far. So Any ideas what they are and are they the Escargot type.

It's a thing i've never tried, but i would give them a go.

Here's one i got a pic of next to a penny for scale.

th_11713570_1022949514406345_1038634823_n_zpslpqq8oww.jpg

11713570_1022949514406345_1038634823_n_zpslpqq8oww.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That far north they can only be garden snails. The other possibility is the Roman snail, which is bigger, but I don't think that gets into Scotland. Either way, both species are edible, though it is wise to feed them on a known crop of something like carrots or lettuce or cucumber for a couple of days in a box before you eat them, so you know what they have eaten recently.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you take a notion to them Stevie, you can come and visit and redd out the hundreds in my garden :sigh: supposedly they're good if they're purged (keep them on something clean but cool and damp, with no food, for a day so they empty their guts) and then fried in butter and garlic.
They're enormous, easily the size of walnuts.

M

Sorry, cross posted with Mike; he's more humane about the feeding I reckon.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Yep perfectly edible. Not unlike helix snails. Im not a massive fan but my good lady likes them with garlic butter and smoky bacon lardons. Takes them off our cabbages a bit like my rabbit revenge policy, if it's eating my veggies, I'm eating it
Cornu aspersum by the way would be my and my little books ident

Last edited:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
All good then. I like the idea of feeding them carrots and purging them first.

Yeah Toddy, Huge, like walnuts as you say. Garlic Butter sounds ideal. anyone ever tried them? what would be a comparison food. Whelks obviously for texture, but flavour wise.?
Toddy, if i try these and they are delish i might just take you up on your offer. Ha... I miss all this stuff, not having a garden no more.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
All good then. I like the idea of feeding them carrots and purging them first.

Yeah Toddy, Huge, like walnuts as you say. Garlic Butter sounds ideal. anyone ever tried them? what would be a comparison food. Whelks obviously for texture, but flavour wise.?
Toddy, if i try these and they are delish i might just take you up on your offer. Ha... I miss all this stuff, not having a garden no more.

According to steph... A little chewy, a bit like a willick. Sort of just taste like whatever you cook them in

Google an african giant land snail if you want to see a real beastie. They have one in a reptile shop not far from me

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We have a friend who works in a 'zoo' type place. We keep being offered African Land Snails 'cos they're overbreeding :rolleyes:

I might suggest she offers them to a restaurant :D

M

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
My sister is a vet so I get offered all kinds of weird and wonderful animals, but God forbid I suggest eating one!

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Keep them moist and feed lettuce or anything really as long as no grit or soil and provide some water. Wash out every day (poo etc) for 5 days. Think day is oatmeal and 7 is just water.

Pop into pan boiling water. Not long and you can extract them. Some people eat the whole snail guts and all and some(me) pull the messy bit off. Then boil for about an hour in salty water. Coll and replace into the shells with a dollop of garlic and parsley butter. Tastes fantastic. (did that from memory so might be a bit off.)

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Cheers, Now i need to convince the Lady i'm working for that no snails were harmed in the process. she's a bit funny when it comes to killing stuff. even beasties. funny though as she's a dab hand with a shoe on a spider. Hmmm

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Look up "wallfish" recipies and you should find a few ways to cook them.
Now if you leave your piece box open and some stow away while you're having your lunch then thats just the circle of life. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE