Ideas for retired fire hose please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Only if one discounts the sheer volume of water from a firehose. Swimming pool filling perhaps ?
It needs a lot of pressure to fill a firehose to make any reasonable watering possible. That's why garden hoses are narrow bore, so that they work from the tap pressure, not the mains.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Well not quite, if one uses the same size hose at the end the larger firehose actually offers much less flow resistance than any smaller dia hose. It really is the final nozzle dia that matters.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's enough water in a fire hose to flood my garden, I don't need that amount of water, I don't think I'm alone in that.
If the pressure isn't there then all you get is a dribble, until you end up with a pin ***** nozzle trying to get enough water to be practical.

Local allotments were given the retired firehoses from the local firestation. They find them useless :dunno: even when punctured along their length to be used as seep watering.

Sod's law sometimes, and it seems that somethings are really only fit for their intended use.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
So do I in my house, except no lead involved, but no pipes in the garden and it needs watering at times.
I was partly joking but also I live in a flat so my plant watering needs are pretty modest compared to a big bore hose like this.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I bought a phone case made out of bicycle inner tubes. I think you could make some protection pockets, wallets, cases, etc. Glasses cases, bag for bowling balls / 10 pin balls, outdoor game equipment holders or bags.

I'm sure there's better ideas than mine around. A cotton thread that expands when wet to stick seams or could you heat seal them, perhaps with a heated knife?

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
You cannot melt firehose to seal it etc.
It's flame retardant and stinks when you do such.

I do flame over the threads, but you need to be doing this outside, it honks and is probably very bad for you.

I'd also note you'll likely need to clean the hose as for each project. It'll be covered in all sorts of film and grime, from fire fighting foam residue to sludge from the river etc.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Reactions: scruff

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
How are the Huaraches in use? I’ve made some out of thin tyres before and they worked ok. Is the hose stiff enough?
Well, appart from being quite slippy (not for carpeted staircases) rather good. Nice, stiff enough. I used some shoe sole adhesive on the soles to give some tackiness.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
cable protection

wall protector

mud flaps

re-sole footwear

blade protectors other than previously mentioned

table coasters

carpet protectors

use on sack tracks or trolleys for prevention of damage to boxes and-such

just a few off the top of my head

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Remember those big old wood saws that needed a man at each end

And the smaller one man versions.

Firehose is the best thing ever for making a cover so nobody gets hurt or the saw getting damaged during transport.

Much easier to carry one saw to a remote job than a chainsaw, all the protective gear and fuel.

In the US they still use those old saws for clearing fallen trees and branches from paths in their gigantic national parks.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Two man cross cut saws.

I've used them in the past for the same reasons here in the UK.

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I have acquired three rolls of retired fire hose. Looks pretty old so I’m not sure it wouldn’t leak under pressure. Seems a shame not to repurpose it somehow as it is pretty much bomb proof & likely has centuries of life left in it!!
Any ideas? Would you like some? If so drop me a message but it’s too heavy to post so you’d need to be near the lakes.
Cheers, SimonView attachment 74727

I know it’s heavy but would you post a short length of it? Say 2 foot or so? I want to make some leatherman sheaths :)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I'd also note you'll likely need to clean the hose as for each project. It'll be covered in all sorts of film and grime, from fire fighting foam residue to sludge from the river etc.
Yeah I was going to mention this as the water going through fire hoses is basically coming straight out of the sewer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE