Ideas for group shade structures?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hello good people, I call on your bushcraft knowledge for aid!

This july i am attending a festival here in spain modeled on Burning Man , I am going with a group of extended friends, who are planning on setting up a large shaded space to act as a yoga room, as well as a personal camp for about 12

The environment is semi-desert and we will have to pack in all our resources. My first thoughts were to source bamboo and along with a spool of cord just lash everything together.

What structures can I suggest we base our design from? has anyone any tips or useful links?

I'm not sure what sort and size of materials we have for shade so my current thinking is creating a number of free standing (stable) arches and then linking them with longer beams which we could tie off sections ofshade as needs be. That way we can have a replicating pattern and a patchwork of shade that can grow / be flexible in shape.

Does anyone have any cool ideas?

/e: shoot just realised I posted this in kit chatter, mods please move it over if you can, sorry!

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
No idea to source a parachute here,there was talk about recycling old worn out sailclothes as apparently they can be aquired locally but I'm betting we're probably going to have lots of small fabric pieces rather thana couple of huge ones

The communal area will be used to host yoga sessions for 30+ people at a time so needs to be spacious enough without too many supporting uprights within the covered area.

For personal camp I'm not too bothered I'm planning on taking my dd tarp and hammock so plenty of shade for me and the missus

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Thanks for the input guys. Its in the spiritof of the festival to create and where possible reuse items. We've decided the basic structure will be three tripods (think teepees) equally spaced out as a triangle, and then running a structural ridgeline between each to create the core structures shape. Depending on how big we need to go, and how much magerial we have we can tie out from this in a simlar way to a normal camping tarp setups. I think its a good compromise as should be stable, resource efficient, and flexible.

As for the actual shade material theres talk of using the stuff used in gardens to hold soil, if you understand me. Being water and wind proof is not a concern for the larger space.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE