Ideas for a semi permanent shelter

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
right, ive just built a Bender style shelter, used lorry canvas as a waterproofing and added a window made from perspex and sealed with some form or crazy glue stuff.
now jobs that need doing are:

fitting the wood burner
making the doorway sealed
fitting a groundsheet and rugs
fitting more windows
fitting shelves
fitting all the basic equipment
cutting alot of firewood
making a sleeping area

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
best shelter is a underground shelter. it takes a little work, but extremely worth it. I carve it out of strong ground, like clay or soft rock, etc. on a slope on south side of a hill for good drainage. carve bed and sits right out of the ground. add sand to the bottom floor, then lay flat rocks for the floor and sitting area. I make a bed out of cedar wood to stop bugs, you can use cypress or juniper wood to by making a box to stuff pine needles intoto make a nice soft bed. I cover the bed so nothing catches on fire. Make the stuffing like 3-4ft deep. the roof is very strong locust wood, or any nonrotting wood like cedar. cover it with the bark of Tulip polar or birch, then pine bark cover with dirt atleast 2ft deep. On top of that shelter I build a platforn off the ground hovering over the shelter, using tulip polar logs, which are veryu straight and light weight when dried, but very strong. add a roof to this, so I can sleep outside on breezy but hotter nights, and down below on colder nights. Just add layers of pine straw or leaves to the poles strung across the trees so you can sleep very comfortable even outside.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE