Idea for Snow Anchors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ideally i like to carry a few snow anchors for the four corners of my shelter so i can get it up quickly if needed. Was wandering round wilkinsons today while my wife shopped and stumbled across some stainless spaghetti portion measures. I think they will make ideal snow anchors.

£1 each and 44g a go

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I would have thought so Dave but ive no experience in camping on sand. Perhaps if you are off to th moot you could field test them. if they dont work ill buy them off you. Ive only got 1 so far lol

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I've always found sand harder to anchor in than snow, where you can use the subsequent "freeze" to bed in snow anchors really firmly. The best I've found in sand are really long stakes/branches!

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Don't know about snow but for sand I use some extra wide flat tent pegs that work well. I have had a tarp up on a very windy beach with them many a time:

image.jpg

I got them in Ellis Bringham a while back. They are very good on looser ground & sand. I have used them in snow but t was quite compacted. Not sure if there wide surface area would work in a blizzard type weather event. Useful things to ave though. Thought I would mention them as they have served me well. They were about £2 each.

leon-1

Dig them in, place them sideways in the sand with the cord running between the 2nd and 3rd holes and a slot for the guy line. Apply tension to the line and then cover with sand is probably what I would do If I were to try then in sand or snow.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I like the idea of using a bag of sand buried in the sand to hold up a tent, may try that if I get really bored at the moot....

but back to the snow: the item does not look a million miles away from purpose deigned snow anchors I have seen before; you will have to wait till all the horrible hot weather has gone away to try them out... Won't be too long a wait for some.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Nice to see you back Paul.

I usually just use a stick buried sideways in the snow with the line looped anound it and tied above the snow surface. This has the advantage that you don't have to did it up when breaking camp.

Looks like it would work well for times when sticks are not available though.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I think it's a great idea Paul!!

After spending quite a whiLe in Estonia looking for suitable strong branches to make dead men I think that will work a treat!!!

Need to get my bum to wilko!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE