IDA is now not approved!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
What does everyone think of using the small plastic fuel bottle supplied with the Swedish army cooker, filled with meths, and stored inside the cooker along with the burner.
Personally it gives me the creeps and so does the soot on my hands.
Surely the evaporated fuel residue and soot must contain some noxious substances.
Happy trails...torc.

Woodsmoke, What is the latest on your battle with Customs & Excise?

What uses do C & E approve off to get a licence?

My appeal failed, all licenses issued in the past may be revoked as they were illegally granted by a team who wrongly interpreted the law. I'm afraid in this case the internet and some standard letters possbly from here :lmao: may have been our own wrong doing!

If anyone wants to buy a huge IDA tranga type burner from me for use as a heater in a teepee please feel free to pm. I feel well and truly shafted by Custom and Excise on this one, it was even hinted that I wanted the license to drink the :rolleyes: the stuff because of the high number of applicants from Glasow and surrounding area!

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
What does everyone think of using the small plastic fuel bottle supplied with the Swedish army cooker, filled with meths, and stored inside the cooker along with the burner.
Personally it gives me the creeps and so does the soot on my hands.
Surely the evaporated fuel residue and soot must contain some noxious substances.
Happy trails...torc.

The fuel bottle and the burner is supposed to be carried on your person so body heat warms it up before use, it is placed inside to keep it together in the stores. You can't fit the kuska inside the billy with the fuel bottle in there.

So what will C&E issue licences for IDA for then? You can buy vodka cheaper than meths nowadays anyway so why would anyone drink it?

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
"The fuel bottle and the burner is supposed to be carried on your person"
Well sorted, thanks Goose.
My lateral thinking is a bit on the blink lately.
But is the soot relatively benign like carbon or do some of the fuel additives remain uncombusted?
Happy trails...torc.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
what about picking up alcool a bruler from france. its less than a euro a litre and is clear. i don't really understand what the difference is - still bloody stinks!

you can buy it in all the supermarkets, i ran my trangia on it and it worked fine. i don't really understand how you use it or if it will work

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The fuel bottle and the burner is supposed to be carried on your person so body heat warms it up before use, it is placed inside to keep it together in the stores. You can't fit the kuska inside the billy with the fuel bottle in there.

You are right about carrying the bottle on the person in cold conditions, which perhaps explains why the fuel bottle looks like a hip flask.

You can, in fact, fit the kuksa, burner and fuel bottle inside the billy but there is a knack to it. The kuksa goes in first, handle up, and the burner fits inside the kuksa, then you add the fuel bottle. There is also room for a lighter spork and small brew kit. Well, it works on mine anyway!

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I understand from one of my less savoury relations that you can get the colour out of meths by filtering it through burnt toast (carbon) Apparently a few layers on top of a bowl and trickle through a couple of times. Pass through some coffee filter to take out the toast crumbs! Not sure if it takes all the other 'stuff' out too but it'd be easy to find out!

Good Luck fella keep pluggin!

Alan

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
You are right about carrying the bottle on the person in cold conditions, which perhaps explains why the fuel bottle looks like a hip flask.

You can, in fact, fit the kuksa, burner and fuel bottle inside the billy but there is a knack to it. The kuksa goes in first, handle up, and the burner fits inside the kuksa, then you add the fuel bottle. There is also room for a lighter spork and small brew kit. Well, it works on mine anyway!

H'mmm, have to give it a go!
It was a nordic member(ex forces) of the site that told me about how the bottle and burner is supposed to be carried, can't remember who though:eek:

And going on from Chainsaws tip, I think fullers earth, claydust used for amongst other things catlitter, has been used in the past as a filtration medium to remove colourings from fuel, don't think it removes all trace though as that is how they were found out:eek: !!

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
Just got my letter asking to review my licence; they asked who my supplier was [Boots the Chemist]; how much I used.

I expect my licence to be withdrawn. [But still I still have more than half of my original 4 litres left... I shan't worry too much; I tend to use JetBoil/kelly Kettle more]

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Just got my letter asking to review my licence; they asked who my supplier was [Boots the Chemist]; how much I used.

I expect my licence to be withdrawn. [But still I still have more than half of my original 4 litres left... I shan't worry too much; I tend to use JetBoil/kelly Kettle more]

This is very interesting as I did'nt know they expired!

I have just checked mine and there is no expirey date on it!

:)

Oct 18, 2007
Why not forget about IDA or purple meths and use pure METHANOL instead? I found this:

"...methanol is absolutely incapable of forming soot when it burns because its one
carbon atom is firmly anchored to one of the two oxygen atoms needed to burn it. An
ethanol flame will produce soot. Pots stay bright and clean with a methanol flame. The
products of combustion of methanol are carbon dioxide and water vapor." Exactly what we are looking for, eh?!!!

Methanol is used as a fuel for model aircraft engines and racing engines as in drag strip etc...

There is a company called Model Technics who make the model fuel and according to their website http://www.modeltechnics.com they do 'hi-proof methanol' for £7 a gallon, this is for people who want to blend their own formula. The small cans of fuel in your local model shop are no good as they contain castor oil, nitro methane and goodness knows what else. But you could try and get the neat methanol, either from a shop or direct from MT.

As for racing fuel, have a look at http://www.biofuel-uk.net/forum/viewthread.php?tid=46 There is also a company called Anglo American Oil, check out http://www.aaoil.co.uk/racing-Racing-fuels-Methane Plus you could always try the yellow pages.

This looks like the most promising solution to IDA availability so far. I haven't used or owned an alcohol stove for ages so I can't try it out myself, but other web searches revealed methanol works perfectly in stoves (see above). As methanol cannot be consumed like ethanol there should be no issues over licensing or supply restrictions like with IDA.

If you feel like getting some to try it may be prudent not to tell them you want it for a stove, they'll probably run a mile LOL!! You know how bl**dy nanny state everything here is these days. Say it's for the lawnmower or something...

Best wishes,

Rich

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
My biggest gripe is that even coloured meths is getting harder to find - most of the big DIY stores seem to have stopped stocking it. Does anyone know if it has a shelf-life?

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I always thought the licences were to stop it being drunk by alcoholics.
It's cheap and has no additives in it
Meths is the same stuff but has the dye to put people off drinking it.
It burns much cleaner than normal meths

Mark

I know it's a bit off the point, but take a look at this link about Alcohol based hand cleaners now used in hospitals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7119247.stm

Just shows what some people will drink!

Mind you haven't tried it as stove fuel.

Rich

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
I understand from one of my less savoury relations that you can get the colour out of meths by filtering it through burnt toast (carbon) Apparently a few layers on top of a bowl and trickle through a couple of times. Pass through some coffee filter to take out the toast crumbs! Not sure if it takes all the other 'stuff' out too but it'd be easy to find out!

Good Luck fella keep pluggin!

Alan

You can also use fullers earth, or cabon sachets that are used in aquarium filters.
Apparently people can strip the `red` out of `red diesel` like this.

You can't distil the product. I'm pretty sure some of the denaturing compounds are used because they have the same evaporation point as the alcohol itself. Filtering might work, but its illegal. Concentration, or perhaps evasion of duty?

I suppose you could use activated charcoal or bentonite or something to do the job. They use activated charcoal in spirit production to pull yeast, protiens, lipids etc out of the wash before distillation.

Besides, i've never had a real problem with soot on my Trangia. The bottom of my pans are bronzed a bit, but that's it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE