I want ...

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I like kayaks :D I learned to paddle them on the River Awe :D I'm still a white water lover :cool:

Kayaks don't mind if you roll, you just roll up again, unlike canoes that fill up with water and deposit you and your goods in the drink ;)

cheers,
M

Have seen a few Canoes been rolled before, full with Air bags, and using simular roll as a Pallarta roll in a Kayak....

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Some dinghy sailors are converting to use sit-on-top kayaks, probably more than are going for open canoes. So much simpler just roof-rack and launch, a trolley makes it even simpler to use. I love mine and can happily cruise a fair way out to sea on it or on a Cornish river. Even have a sail for it. If you want you can stand up and use them like a paddle-board.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A Kayak you sit in and paddle.... A Canoe you kneel in and paddle, of coures you can sit in a canoe if you want , but the origanal way was to kneel. Most people say double ended paddle is kayak , single ended is Canoe... that is personal preferance, you can use either in either craft...

Try telling an Eskimo he just plays in his Kayak.... and does not use it to get anywere....:)
For taking loads anywhere they use an Umiak (sp) - a cross between a canoe and a currach

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
........bet they're fun to bail out afterwards :)
Close fitting spray decks are good things :D

M
You can get fully decked canoes too you know!
Did the Olympics teach us nothing! - C1 and C2 are white water canoe clases....
You do not need a kayak for white water - I have run opens on grade 4 (although I did get a bit damp...)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
C1 and C2 (the banana boats) are hell on the back :( I know a lot of folks who ended up with miserable pain from using them.

cheers,
M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
C1 and C2 (the banana boats) are hell on the back :( I know a lot of folks who ended up with miserable pain from using them.

cheers,
M

No one said it was easy ... :)
Hate them myself
16 foot of canoey goodness for river, estuary, costal and pond work is happiness for me :)
Kayaks (which I am qualified to teach in) cause me intense pain in the lower back but before I wrecked my knees and back I did quite enjoy Kayaking - but only for short trips!
S*it on tops are just miserable wet pain - except for messing about and getting the kids wet
Canoes are the biz for multi day adventure
If you want a craft for multi day costal adventure in max comfort and safety then I would reluctantly go for a Sea Kayak ... though Wales has been circumnavigated by canoe at least once (Ray Goodwin and Rob Eggelstaff) in complete safety.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You could rejig the seat in that to make it into a canoe ....
Brits are historically ignorant of the difference between Canoes and Kayaks and mostly get it wrong ... I blame Rob Roy McGreggor!
For all his paddling ability and goodness he was no linguist!
They also misunderstand the Esquimo word "Anorak"....

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Been a while since I paddled :eek: , polycarb would have been interesting :approve: :D .

... I have run opens on grade 4 (although I did get a bit damp...)

Bound to happen if you propel yourself with a spork :p .

... For all his paddling ability and goodness he was no linguist!.

I know someone else like that John ...

They also misunderstand the Esquimo word "Anorak"....

Would sir like to put that sentence through a spell checker?

:yikes: :rofl:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:eek:
Uhuh, I'm a wee Scots housewife, no' wonderwoman :D

We used to have a bucket that had a glass panel fitted into the base. My brother and I used to look over the side of the boats into the water with it. Amazing how much life there is just offshore on the lochs, and even the barnacles on old piers and rocks are beautiful when they open up :)
Then the police gave us a talking to, since some folks were using them to scour the rivers for the fresh water mussels for their pearls :( Kind of spoiled the fun.

cheers,
Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ah Toddy,

All Scots housewives are wonderwomen.

Yeah just lying on the water surface with a snorkle and mask on is great. Especially at rocky places near Mallaig where the water is so clear. Though somefolks on the beach think you're a body and try and rescue you...

Ta,
Goatboy.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Made the mistake of showing the mrs now she wants one for the house abroad. Don't know if its practical but it is really cool.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Re the canoe/kayak distinction:

I understand that some northern First Nations tribes using canoes found that because of the open top structure of their craft it was possible, with care, to carry a clay pot of burning embers in the canoe to save starting a new fire from scratch at the next stop and to provide heating on the journey.

When the Innuit tried to copy the idea, they soon found that due to the closed in design of their craft the pot was too near the deck and their boats caught fire: thus proving that you can't have your kayak and heat it too.

Anything you canoe, I canoe better!

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
A canoe is simply a double-ended craft capable of being carried by the crew and propelled by a paddle without the use of a fulcrum. Nothing difficult about that. So an open canoe is not a kayak but then of course there are endless sub-divisions such as an open canoe with a transom et al and the pirogues of course. Perfectly correct to call a kayak a canoe as if it mattered. Don't have enough evidence, any evidence, as to whether other nations are as "ignorant" as the British.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Re the canoe/kayak distinction:

When the Innuit tried to copy the idea, they soon found that due to the closed in design of their craft the pot was too near the deck and their boats caught fire: thus proving that you can't have your kayak and heat it too.

First heard that one on My Word, probably by Frank Muir. Some Danish Neolithic logboats had one or even two hearths.

I can row a boat, canoe?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE