I want to learn Tracking skills-Can anybody help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hi there,

One thing I have always wanted to learn is the art of tracking, so if anyone can suggest the best way to start it would be greatly appreciated, I haven't got the finance to go on the likes of a Woodlore course so if anyone who lives in South Wales (especially Pembrokeshire) is able to teach me that would be great.
But I am also open to other suggestions.

Cheers.. :)

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
first off read books and learn some basic tracks, do you know what a deer track looks like ? they are cloven hooves
a fox's is like a dogs but longer and slimmer
leon

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Also something handy I find is go to places you know will have had plenty of activity from the more common animals. (bunnies,foxes etc) Best places are field edges that are fenced off with wooden posts with barbed wire runners. This is where you get to both see the grasses pushed open for runs, and also the odd bit of fur stuck to the wireing. I've only recently had the tracking thing click in my head and am now a firm beliver that more important than the actual tracks is to "get your eye in" and learn to see whats out of place and shouldn't be there.

Reactions: Toddy

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Ditto that. Get a book or two (there are a couple of threads with recommendations that might be applicable to your environment; The books I have are geared towards North American species and might not be so useful to you), make index cards with a sketch of the print, dimensions and typical gait patterns for that species. That way, you can memorize them whenever.

And, of course, get out there and start looking. Just like everything else worthwhile in life, practice makes perfect. Even if you can't figure out what you're looking at in the snow, at least you're trying.

I will recommend "Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking" to you. It's not a great track identification book, IMHO, but it is a good resource for getting into the tracking mindset.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
An early walk in the woods this morning would have delivered one of the best tutorials by way of the shere variety of tracks to be found in fresh (non-compacted) snow. By simply following a trail – preferably not of a bird, and fist back to where they start for the sheer excitement such engenders, you will soon better understand the critters mind-set in the context of their forays. Once you’ve seen your favourite haunt iced with fresh powder you’ll never doubt again that wildlife lives there and, if you do your bit, most likely exactly where!

Cheers

leon-1

Greg, have a search on the forums for Shadowhawk, they are a company that is based in Cornwall that teach tracking, Max, Rhoda, Nick and the other guys give very good instruction. I have done a couple of thier courses, Max also teaches for some other Schools like Survival School.

When you can afford it I would also take a look at Bushcraft Expeditions as I was lucky enough to get away with Woody and the guys a couple of years ago and can vouch for the quality of instruction.

Books are a good place to start, but some things need to be shown, if you get to the BCUK moot this year there will more than likely be a tracking workshop (there normally is one) which will get you off the ground.

Alternatively see if you can arrange a meet in the Wales area and find out what people in your area know.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Hi Greg and welcome to the wonderful world of tracking. Once you bag the basics you wont look back and to kick off with I too would recommend Tom Brown's books as a sound starting point. (Not everyone will agree with this and I understand why but it works for me) Ive not read it but understand there is also a good SAS tracking book available which a few people here rave about.
However, theres nothing like getting out and having a go. A lot of it is pretty straight forward once you know what to look for and you can teach yourself stacks with a good field guide and tracking manual. Early this morning I tracked a fox through the freshly fallen snow to where it had tried to chase down a rabbit. I learnt a great deal about how the fox stalked its prey,when he stoped and shifted his weight and the movement and pace of both animals during the chase.Obviously on harder ground this would be more difficult but you would be surprised at how much information you can gleam from a few turned leaves and light impressions. Leon1 had some good advice about courses but more important is doing the dirt time.

Good Luck

Askdamice

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2006
Windsor Ontario Canada
When you can't get out for some actual dirt time, there are online tracking lessons that can be a big help. Here is a good example:

http://dirttime.ws/DirtTime.htm

Have fun!!

Ps. Tom Brown does get very spiritual in his teachings and its not for everybody, but the classes I've taken with him have changed the way I look at the ground FOREVER!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
dommyracer said:
"Animal Tracks and Signs" By Preben Bang and Preben Dahlstrom is a good start:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Animal-Trac...f=pd_ka_1/203-8645480-6238333?ie=UTF8&s=books

Yep - I would agree but I would also follow Moko's advice to actually get out and do some. Take the book out with you and start looking. I have picked up a fair bit doing this but I wish I had the time and money to do one of the courses mentioned above - I expect that a bit of instruction from a good tracker is worth so much.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
the bob carss sas guide to tracking (def not the tracking and navigation) book is the best in my opinion - i found a copy on ebay for 54p....and together with a book of actual tracks (preben bang is great) you'll have a good start.
the section about tracking in ray mears first book is also bang on.

with snow on the ground at the moment its a great time to find things - far more obvious sign than normally - and i aggree with everyone here, the time out there is the most important...yesterday while filling the green bin i studied my cats tracks through the garden for a couple minutes, cats are amazing - the hind foot steps into the fore foot's print so perfectly its uncanny. you can see where they've landed - where the tail brushed the ground etc etc, and if you apply all the backyard stuff when you go out for a stroll you'll see so much.
you can practicse by just watching peoples footprints in front of you as you walk down the street / across grass/ in the rain etc, look for colour change - how quickly they fade blades being bent then returning back - and how long that takes etc, pattern etc
rant rant rant - love it :)

Tracking is not hard once you know how. But learning how is the hard bit.

I've taught tracking for many years, mainly to wildlife enthusiasts. Wildlife books will generally not tell you how to do it except the preben bang that we all talk about.

I'd teach folk if they were closer but a few hints are-

start with somrthing you know- e.g people-on a beach
then go to four legs on a beach-dog or fox
Once you can count and track both apply the same to a path in a wood...

1st lesson-tracking is not always about prints-know your quarry and it's habits and learn what sign it leaves while doing it's everyday walking feeding and whatever...

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks for the advice guys, I will take it all onboard.
I must live in the only place in Britain that hasn't got any snow - not one speck on the ground!!

Cheers fellas. :beerchug:

bear knights

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Cornwall
follow your nose!! more often than not, I smell a badger before I see its tracks. Finding a latrine, (they dig holes and then deposit pretty much anything from a cowpat like slop, to quite a pretty purple cluster of droppings) and then following back from there can give you loads of info. Otters spriant smell like jasmine tea, (really), minks stink, hedgehogs linseed oil etc. ah, the smell of the country.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
bear knights said:
follow your nose!! more often than not, I smell a badger before I see its tracks. Finding a latrine, (they dig holes and then deposit pretty much anything from a cowpat like slop, to quite a pretty purple cluster of droppings) and then following back from there can give you loads of info. Otters spriant smell like jasmine tea, (really), minks stink, hedgehogs linseed oil etc. ah, the smell of the country.

Now I have actually found loads of badger holes in my local woods but they all seem to be old and disused, you must have a keen sense of smell which is something I need to try and develop.
Thanks for the info.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE