I want to increase my skills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
How can I increase my knife skills, I recently got my first knife (Clipper 840MG) and it's still hair popping sharp, so what are some activities I can do? I've learned a few way to cut with a knife, with different purposes.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
hazle is great for spoons i use it all the time, someone else might no if its any good for a knife handle, but i would say mabe ash would be great for a knife handle

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm getting the hang of feathersticks, also I will also try to make a handle for my knife, what wood is best, in my back garden I have a large hazel tree, will it suffice? for a handle and spoons?

What knife are you going to handle? The mora?

Yes, hazel is fine for spoons, though it is a bit harder to carve than sycamore or birch for example. :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
No, not the Mora a old kitchen knife without a handle.

I will have a good at spoon carving, are there any good guides?

Hazel will make a decent handle, but there are better and nicer woods easily available if your going to cut your own. Hawthorn is nice, as is ash, oak, yew, to name a few.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Ahh well I also have 3 hawthorn trees in my back garden, and they are very over grown, so I will cut some down.

Make sure that you season it well as it can split badly if your not careful. Try drying a large chunk slowly in the microwave( on defrost) then you should be able to cut out the piece you need.

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
Make sure that you season it well as it can split badly if your not careful. Try drying a large chunk slowly in the microwave( on defrost) then you should be able to cut out the piece you need.

OK thanks mate, I'll put a chunk of hazel in the microwave, it won't catch fire because microwaves work by vibrating water molecules then the water molecules give of heat and vaporize, but it won't be enough to light a chunk of wood.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Do it slowly, a minute at a time and weigh the wood after each time, when it weighs the same twice in a row, its done :)

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
Do it slowly, a minute at a time and weigh the wood after each time, when it weighs the same twice in a row, its done :)

Hmm, as the moisture makes up alot of the weight, so if you slowly dry it out, and it weighs the same weight twice in a row, that means there is no water molecules left in the wood, thanks mate!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
OK thanks mate, I'll put a chunk of hazel in the microwave, it won't catch fire because microwaves work by vibrating water molecules then the water molecules give of heat and vaporize, but it won't be enough to light a chunk of wood.

I'm not as confident as you are. If water is trapped deep in the fibres they could potentially heat up well above the normal boiling point of water. I'm not prepared to risk my microwave to test this theory, mind!

This should help:

http://www.woodworkweb.com/woodwork-topics/work-shop-tips/105-microwave-wood-drying.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE