I visited Auschwitz today

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
What get's me each time I remember Auschwitz is the realization that this thing is going on right now as we speak, on a even bigger scale.
North Korea....

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
What motivates someone to visit such a terrible place?

In my case, it was the family connection. Our family lost lots of members during the holocaust. For me, it was akin to visiting a gravestone.

Our family originated from Russian Jews fleeing the persecution of the Nazi's.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
For me, first one my dads loss of friends and teachers and my wife's family was reduced to one person during WW2.

Also my interest in history. I do mainly visit other, happier historical places.
Plus the important European battle fields.

In fact we do not know what is happening in North Korea. But it is not a Genocide.
Murdering dissidents by overworking/starvation in work camps for sure.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
What get's me each time I remember Auschwitz is the realization that this thing is going on right now as we speak, on a even bigger scale.
North Korea....

Yep, its fair to say there's something very disturbing about the West's selective approach to what constitutes genocide. Or should that read "indifference" where the culture so afflicted doesn't fit the preferred model to warrant our outrage and intervention?

K

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I think we should maybe refrain from any military interventions in the future. Our good intentions have turned to pure disasters so many times.
Vietnam, Iraq x 2, Afganistan plus others.

Trade embargo helps, but usually it is the poorest in the country that take the brunt and suffer most..

Also, you do not corner a rat. It will attack you.
Kim has nuclear capabilities......
I hope nobody pushes that rat into a corner!

Genocide = wholesale murder of a specific ethnic/cultural/religious group.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
North Korea....
I have heard of no evidence this is happening in North Korea. If you know of any, please tell me.

However, something very similar is happening in Burma.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I have heard of no evidence this is happening in North Korea. If you know of any, please tell me.

However, something very similar is happening in Burma.

Maybe not actual death camps with gas chambers. But they do run many "prisons" which are places of death and torture. Just watch any documentary on yt about north korea or read reports from people who managed to escape...

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Maybe not actual death camps with gas chambers. But they do run many "prisons" which are places of death and torture. Just watch any documentary on yt about north korea or read reports from people who managed to escape...
You could say that about the USA. I'm not saying it is right, but it is a false equivalence.

Focus on places like Burma, where there really is attempted genocide going on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE