i-Straw Water Purification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
If you follow the suggestions from "Smarty" at the Wilderness Gathering, then I think that any method other than boiling is not likely to be 100% effective. My interpretation of his advice is that if you have the time, then boil the water...

...so although I have no experience of the 'straw' myself, I'd probably be a little bit sceptical. If it is only a filter membrane, then some stuff may well get through it (e.g. viruses). If it uses chemical disinfection as well as filtration, then that needs a contact time to work and drinking via a straw is not going to give adequate contact time.

Just my (inexperienced) thoughts.

Geoff

Cheechako

Apr 1, 2007
Bridgend, South Wales.
I spotted the istraw in my local Blacks shop recently, thought it might be handy until I read the small print.....it doesn't eliminate viruses.

Suffice to say, it went back onto the shelf !

Dave.

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
It dont do virus's. 74.5 degrees does. The water will require chemical or heat attack after going through the straw. An interesting concept if you have sucked the water into your mouth!!!!!! I know spit it out and then boil it????????:yikes:

Bozle

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Kent
I'll vouch for the purehydration bottle filters, although if you possably can filter and boil, 99.99% is by definition not 100%.

I've also got a straw style filter for the first aid kit, a pretty major bugbear for me is the massive amount of suction pressure you need to filter the water. Drinking a litre of water over the course of a day (not enough for good hydration but better than none) gave three people blisters due to the amount of suction needed.

The style is not really ideal for everyday use but useful at a pinch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE