I started using RAW files today

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I have finally got Photoshop and I have started using RAW files and its great

I went out this morning and shot this. The shot is a JPEG produced by my camera with minus stop to prevent the highlights blowing.

PB282180.jpg

I used a RAW file to produce this image from the same shot.

Wasdale2.jpg

Maybe not the best shot ever but I am working on it.

Rumcajs

Forager
Nov 13, 2009
Kielce, PL
www.jbohac.net
Alf, nice shots.
You don't need PS to produce good shots. HDR looks nice but there is always risk of overdoing it. To have it nicely exposed you could use ND Grad filter, and don’t forget the rule of third.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Yeah it is and last week looking at the tide marks the camera would have been under water.

Easily - went to Bowness on Tuesday and Windermere was still a good six foot over it's 'normal' level, but nowhere near as high as it had been.

I took some pics on my phone...

The bridge over the Leven at Newby Bridge:
IMAG0269.jpg

Depth gauge:
IMAG0277.jpg

Windermere from Bowness - note floating pontoons on the left:
IMAG0279.jpg

The pontoons are at their maximum height - wouldn't like to be tied up tight to that deck or you'd be at the same depth as that bin :D
IMAG0278.jpg

Cheers,

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have yet to try saving files as RAW mainly because of the desire not to run out of memory somewhere way off from my ability to download everything off the camera.

However this picture seems as good a reason to experiment as any, I frequently find, (as indeed with 35mm before) that there is way too much contrast in the shots to avoid either a washed out sky or lack of detail in the foreground.

Playing with the gamma and the levels in Photoshop helps it some but is never wholly satisfactory. So what technically is it about RAW that makes it possible to recover an otherwise spoiled shot so completely?

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
The BIG BIG BIG advantages to RAW are

- No need to worry about the Whte Balance - can be set later.
- No processing on camera - means you can extract and emphasize suttle tones like in sunsets and water

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE