I need a new job

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AdamSon

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
Co. Durham
This is a bit of a moan really, but basically I hate my job, it's retail, in a very quiet town. I have always been an active person, even in my last retail job I was constantly busy, even though I didn't like the job, I loved doing the work.

So my question is, what job/career would you recommend, I want something that keeps me busy, manually more than using my think box. Something I get to travel with or even just has some variance in surroundings/people. I would love to work outside, weather really doesn't bother me(apart from strong wind!).

I'm in the process of joining the TA to add a bit of action to my life, but I would really like a new job.

I know it's up to me to find the right job but it's interesting to get other peoples views on the subject.

I'm 24 if that makes any difference.

AdamSon

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
Co. Durham
Ok, fair one. I should say that I am willing to travel in the uk to do my job, not move to start a new job, ie. I would like to stay in the north of England

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ok, fair one. I should say that I am willing to travel in the uk to do my job, not move to start a new job, ie. I would like to stay in the north of England

Alaska might have been extreme but TBH the more mobile you are willing to be, the more apt you are to be successful. You're fortunate in that you're still young and can train in most any career you choose. Good luck.

AdamSon

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
Co. Durham
I live with my girlfriend of 5 years, no children, nor do we want children. We rent our house so no mortgage to worry about.

I haven't tried searching those terms, I tend to half heartedly search "all jobs" on there.

AdamSon

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
Co. Durham
Thanks, I will take a look at those.

I'm not too bothered about the pay, as long as I'm not taking a cut back from minimum wage! I just want to be happy in what I do.

I have considered joining the regs but I like my freedom if I'm being honest.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
T"...I want something that keeps me busy, manually more than using my think box. Something I get to travel with or even just has some variance in surroundings/people. I would love to work outside, weather really doesn't bother me(apart from strong wind!)..."

How technical are you? How strong? How old?

In my twenties I fell into being a 'roadie' not a roadie in the sense of sharing a Ford Transit van with an untalented rock band for several months but roadie as in 'AV Technician' which was a catch all term for those guys and gals you see running around the stage at rock festivals or sitting behind sound desks at corporate shareholder meetings. Obviously before and after the audience (you) are there to see them, those stage sets and all that cabling, lighting AV and set material needs to be collected, delivered, unloaded, set up, tested, constructed, painted etc.

It is hard work, odd and usually long hours and you are generally working for yourself. If you are not terribly bright but very strong then you can earn good money moving stage flats about, if you are not terribly strong but bright you can train yourself to be the 'go to guy' for a particular sound desk or lighting control system.

Either way the money can be good, you'll get out what you put into it, you will find yourself with more spare time to get out into the woods, your living costs will drop because you will no longer have to commute, and when you do you can bill for that, your meals are usually provided as are clothes sometimes.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I would suggest that you first have to decide how you got into your present situation. Was it inertia, lack of qualifications, because there seemed to be a decent career path or other factors only you will know? If any of these can be corrected then better qualifications or whatever was the original problem needs to be got or corrected or at least recognised before inertia moves you into another job.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Why don't you seek the advice of a careers advisor? They will have a database of suitable jobs you may never have thought about before, if you give them the criteria I bet they will come up with something right up your street. Also my advice would be that in your spare time, do what you love to do and keep your nose to the ground, it maybe that when you are mixing with the people who already do what you love doing, then an opportunity may present itself. Even if you change careers gradually, by doing voluntary work in something you love to do, you can get some experience under your belt whilst you stay with the security of your dead end job.

AdamSon

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
Co. Durham
Sorry I didn't realise there were so many replies.

I got into this situation because my dad wanted me to get a trade at college, which obviously didn't work out. Then I had bills to pay, and I've been stuck in retail for 6 years.

I would like to look at being a "roadie", that seems interesting.

I think I will just get stuck into my hobbies and like you said, volunteer where I can and see where things take me.

I couldn't work in IT, unless it's installing things I suppose haha. I make custom vinyl graphics for cars and things on the side and I find it rather mind numbing having to sit at a computer doing designs, but it helps pay the bills.

Thanks for all the input on this!

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Good luck, I hope you find something soon.

If you really don't enjoy your job it is best to get out as soon as possible and do something that will keep you happy for many years, after all we all hate having to work for a living, the alternative is to not work for a living, but that doesn't give a lot of happiness either, and it certainly doesn't pay the bills...

I have been in the same job for pretty much 28 years of the last 35, the other job "paid the bills" for the other years.

You might be one of the lucky ones that finds the job that will keep you smiling for the next 35 odd years, but that is a rare job to find these days. Being paid to do something we like doing is often just out of reach as it all becomes part of the daily grind eventually.

Just never give up looking, and don't go to the grave regretting not doing something you wanted to do.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I couldn't work in IT, unless it's installing things I suppose haha. I make custom vinyl graphics for cars and things on the side and I find it rather mind numbing having to sit at a computer doing designs, but it helps pay the bills.

Thanks for all the input on this!

If thats the case hows Preston Sound? Also, if you want to learn a decent carrier in IT I might be able to help you just need to be willing to learn, I mean basics obviously... can you memories commands etc? tail -f -n100 /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf and navigate text only systems stc?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE